★ Arundel Castle
The Arundel castle restored and remodeled medieval castle Arundel, West Sussex, England. It was founded by Roger de Montgomery on Christmas day 1067. Roger became the first to hold the County of Arundel by the grace of William the Conqueror. The castle was damaged during the English Civil war and then restored in the 18th and 19th centuries, the Charles Howard, 11th Duke of Norfolk.
From the 11th century, the castle served as the home and owned by the family of the Duke of Norfolk for over 400 years. It is the principal seat of the Howard family, whose head was the first column of Arundel and later the Dukes of Norfolk. It is a grade I listed building.
1. Construction. (Строительство)
The original structure was a Motte and Bailey castle double. Roger de Montgomery was declared the First Earl of Arundel as the king granted him the property as part of a much more than a hundred estates.
Roger, who was a cousin of William, remained in Normandy to save the world while William was away in England. He was rewarded for his loyalty with a large land in the marches and Welsh throughout the country, along with one fifth of Sussex rape of Arundel.
After Roger de Montgomery died, the castle reverted to the crown under Henry I. the King, in his will, left Arundel castle and the attached land to his second wife Adeliza of Louvain. In the year 1138, three years after Henrys death, she married William dAlbini second. William was responsible for creating the stone shell on the mote, thus increasing the defence and status of the castle.
2. Medieval changes. (Средневековый изменения)
From 1138 to the present day Arundel castle and the title Earl of Arundel was inherited, in all but two or three generations in direct male line, and only two or three temporary loss on the crown. Since the Aubigny family first acquired the castle progressive changes were made and the castle was reorganized to fit the requirements of modernity.
In 1139 the Empress Matilda was invited to stay in Arundel during his travels in her claim to the English throne after king Stephen. The apartments are built to accommodate her and her entourage live to this day.
In 1176 William Daubigny, 1st Earl of Arundel died and Arundel castle returned to the crown under king Henry II who spent huge amount of money the reconstruction of the building, mainly for domestic use. When Henry died, the castle remained in the possession of his son and successor king Richard I "the Lionheart", who offered William Daubigny, 3rd Earl of Arundel. The last in the Aubigny male line was Hugh Daubigny, 5th Earl of Arundel, who died at an early age in 1243. When his sister and heiress, Isabel Daubigny married John FitzAlan clan, he became the 6th Earl of Arundel and inherited the castle. Family of FitzAlan continued in unbroken male line until 1580, but was twice temporarily deprived of their possessions.
After the death of John FitzAlan, 7th Earl of Arundel in 1272, Arundel castle and the earldom passed to his five-year-old son Richard FitzAlan, 8th Earl of Arundel. Thirteen years later, king Edward I received the 8th Earl of the right to hold two fairs a year in Arundel with the right of taxation. This grant provided funds for much-needed reconstruction of the castle which fell into disrepair.
As soon as sufficient funds, the 8th Earl added the well tower and reconstructed the entrance to the fortress. His son Edmund FitzAlan, 9th Earl of Arundel was executed for his part in the rebellion against king Edward II. The Arundel castle was confiscated to the crown and was granted by the king to his half-brother Edmund of Woodstock, 1st Earl of Kent 1301-1330, 6th son of Edward I and his second wife Margaret of France. Edmund of Woodstock, was executed by Queen Isabella and her lover Mortimer for the support of her husband Edward II, and his widow and orphans, including Joan Kent 1326 / 7-1385 on the "fair maid of Kent", the future mother of king Richard II) was placed under house arrest in Arundel castle. The castle and titles, was restored to the FitzAlans four years later.
Richard FitzAlan, 10th Earl of Arundel, fought at the battle of Crecy Edward III and his son the Black Prince. 10th Earl ordered the building of the FitzAlan Church, completed posthumously according to his will. One of his daughters, Alice FitzAlan, married Thomas Holland, 2nd Earl of Kent 1350-1397, whose mother Joan, "fair maid of Kent", spent her childhood under house arrest in Arundel castle.
Richard FitzAlan, 11th Earl of Arundel was harshly treated Richard II. At the funeral of his wife Queen Anne of Bohemia, the Earl was beaten for arriving late and asking to leave early. Richard II eventually tired of his treachery and executed him before to confiscate his property, which he gave to one of his older half-brothers John Holland, 1st Duke of Exeter 1352-1400 son of Joan, "fair maid of Kent" but when the Duke was executed by king Henry IV, who was deposed Richard II, Arundel was returned to the FitzAlan line once again. Thomas FitzAlan, 12th Earl of Arundel married the daughter of king John of Portugal and the pair ultimately became the first members of the FitzAlan family to be buried in the FitzAlan chapel, built in the 10th Earl.
In FitzAlan male line ended on the death of Henry FitzAlan, 19th Earl of Arundel, whose daughter and heiress Mary FitzAlan married Thomas Howard, 4th Duke of Norfolk, whose descendants, the castle and earldom passed. The crown seized Arundel after he was executed for plotting to marry Mary Queen of Scots in 1572. The castle was later returned to his heirs Howard, heiress of the counts of Arundel.
3. The English Civil War. (Английской Гражданской Войны)
In 1643 during the First English Civil war the castle was besieged for 18 days. Then in 1653 Parliament ordered dismissive of the castle, however, "the weather is probably more destroyed."
4. Recovery. (Восстановление)
Although the castle remained in the hands of the Howard family for several subsequent centuries, it was not their favourite residence, and the various Dukes of Norfolk invested their time and energy into improving other estates of the Duke, including Norfolk house in London and Worksop.
Charles Howard, 11th Duke of Norfolk, was known for his work on the restoration and improvement of the castle in 1787 and continuing for several years as he wanted to live there and entertain his visitors. Many improvements have been revised and reconstructed, but the library in the castle still, as it was designed and built.
Folly that still stands on the hill above the lake Swanbergs was ordered and built for Duke Francis Hiorne to prove his abilities as architect and Builder. He had a large party at Arundel castle to celebrate the 600th anniversary of the signing of Magna Carta shortly before his death in 1815.
5. Royal visit of 1846. (Королевский визит 1846 года)
In 1846 Queen Victoria and her husband Prince albert visited Arundel castle for three days. Henry Charles Howard, 13th Duke of Norfolk, was rebuilt into a castle during your visit. He thought getting rid of some of the 11th Duke of Norfolks work, has been several complaints from local residents that it was too cold, dark and unwelcoming. Duke has developed a new home for the new Queen and Prince albert to stay in, commissioning a portrait of the Queen and decorating the block with the best of Victorian furniture and art. There is also the restructuring of the bedrooms for the court. The Duke spared no expense to make the Queens visit pleasant, and he did it.
The Queen has arrived on 1 December 1846 by the Duke of Edward Howard Howard-Gibbon mayor of Arundel, and other dignitaries, and then she retired to her private apartments in the castle. On her trip, she entered the newly established base and visited the surrounding areas of the County, including in the estate. Almost all parts of the castle that the Queen will visit the renovated and exquisitely decorated to meet Royal standards. At the end of his visit, she wrote to the Duke and commented on how nice her visit, commenting on the "beautiful" castle and the friendliness of its reception. The Suite of rooms in which Victoria stayed are now part of the family their own apartment, but a set of bedroom furniture made for her on display. Among other things to see include the Queen bed, the guest book bearing her and her spouses signature and her toilet.
6. Changes since 1850. (Изменения с 1850 года)
Shortly after the 1846 Royal visit the 14th Duke again started the reconstruction of the castle. He died before its completion, and the work that has been done Rattee and Kett, was completed by the 15th Duke in 1900. The tower was later reorganized, but the original save is stored until its antiquity and picturesque quality.
The 16th Duke had planned to give the castle to the national trust, but after his death in 1975 the 17th Duke cancelled the plan. He created an independent charitable Foundation, to ensure the locks of the future, and oversaw the restoration work.
Today the castle remains the principal seat of the Dukes of Norfolk, Duke currently is the 18th Duke, the Earl Marshal of England. A large part of the castle and its extensive grounds open to the public.
7. Other events. (Другие события)
- On 14 October 1651, captain Morley, who held the castle for Parliament, while out hunting, almost captured Charles II and Colonel Phillips. Charles II was on the run for his life while fleeing from the defeat of the royalists at Worcester. His party managed to stay away from the party Morlis for the takedown like its easier to go down a hill, thereby allowing Morlis group run past them.
- The visit of Queen Victoria and Prince albert 1846.
- The opening of the collector Earls garden 14 may 2008 by Prince Charles.
- The marriage of the future Henry IV of England and Mary de Bohun 1380.
8. Location. (Расположение)
The Arundel castle was used as a filming location for several television and film projects. Bi-bi-si has actively removed the castle and its grounds in the 1988 Doctor Who serial Silver Nemesis where he doubled for Windsor castle. It is also double for Windsor castle in the 1994 film the Madness of king George. The Arundel castle was also the venue for the 2009 Film the Young Victoria.
- Arundel Castle Cricket Ground is a cricket ground in Arundel West Sussex, England, nearby to Arundel Castle It has been in use since 1952. The ground
- RMS Arundel Castle was a British ocean liner and Royal Mail Ship which entered service in 1921 for the Union - Castle Line. A previous vessel of the same
- much - conserved town has a medieval castle and Roman Catholic cathedral. Although smaller in population than most other parishes, Arundel has a museum and comes second
- and England. A tradition arose that the holder of Arundel Castle should automatically be Earl of Arundel and this was formally confirmed by King Henry VI
- Arundel Castle is a restored medieval castle Arundel Castle may also refer to: Arundel Castle Cricket Ground, a cricket ground in Arundel England RMS
- mid - nineteenth century, when his tomb at Arundel Castle was revealed to contain a skeleton missing one leg. Arundel was considered a great soldier by his
- Priory. He died in 1544 and was buried at Arundel Castle His only son was Henry Fitzalan, 12th Earl of Arundel Cokayne 1910, p. 250. Cokayne, George Edward
- Arundel Museum is a local museum in the town of Arundel West Sussex, just inland from the south coast of England. Arundel Museum is run by the Arundel
- of Arundel 8th Earl of Surrey c. 1306 24 January 1376 was an English nobleman and medieval military leader and distinguished admiral. Arundel was
- of England. Since 1102 the seat of the Howards ancestors has been Arundel Castle In 1664, Roman Catholic worship was suppressed in England by the Conventicle
- Anne Howard, Countess of Arundel nee Dacre 21 March 1557 19 April 1630 was an English poet, noblewoman, and religious conspirator. She lived a life
- The first RMS Windsor Castle along with her sister, RMS Arundel Castle was an ocean liner laid down by the Union - Castle Line for service from the United
- Edmund Fitzalan, 2nd Earl of Arundel 1 May 1285 17 November 1326 was an English nobleman prominent in the conflict between King Edward II and his
- was Arundel Castle in Sussex. Arundel inherited his title on 9 March 1302 upon his father s death. He was summoned to Parliament as Lord Arundel in 1306
- not as Earl of Arundel He married Eleanor Berkeley died 1 August 1455 a daughter of Sir John Berkeley 1352 1428 of Beverstone Castle in Gloucestershire
- Thomas Arundel 1353 19 February 1414 was an English clergyman who served as Lord Chancellor during the reign of Richard II, as well as Archbishop
- Chapel located on the western grounds of Arundel Castle Some of his bones are also found within his shrine at Arundel Cathedral. Howard was attainted in 1589
- II, he confirmed William s earldom and gave him direct possession of Arundel Castle instead of the possession in right of his wife died 1151 he had previously
- Henry Fitzalan, 12th Earl of Arundel KG 23 April 1512 24 February 1580 was an English nobleman, who over his long life assumed a prominent place at
- Arundel died 7 May 1243 was the last in the Aubigny male line to hold the Arundel Castle He was the son of William d Aubigny, 3rd Earl of Arundel and
- Codex Arundel British Library, Arundel 263 is a bound collection of pages of notes written by Leonardo da Vinci and dating mostly from between 1480
- eastern end of the church building constructed on the western grounds of Arundel Castle This church building is one of the very few church buildings that is
- principal residence was Marlborough Castle in Wiltshire, but Richard also held Arundel Castle in Sussex and the castles of Clun and Oswestry in Shropshire
- Thomas Howard, 14th Earl of Arundel KG, 7 July 1586 4 October 1646 was a prominent English courtier during the reigns of King James I and King Charles
- created Earl of Arundel He was knighted by King Edward I of England in 1289. He fought in the Welsh wars, 1288 to 1294, when the Welsh castle of Castell y
- Thomas Fitzalan, 5th Earl of Arundel 10th Earl of Surrey KG 13 October 1381 13 October 1415 was an English nobleman, one of the principals of the
- John Arundel or Arundell died 1477 was a medieval Bishop of Chichester. A native of Cornwall, Arundel was a fellow of Exeter College, Oxford from 1421
- Some examples include small towns like Alnwick and Arundel which are still dominated by their castles In Western Europe, and England particularly, it
- Trinity College, Ramme Gaard in Norway, Prague Castle Norwich Cathedral, Kentwell Hall and Arundel Castle The following year the Company produced Romeo
- John Fitzalan, 1st Baron Arundel c. 1348 16 December 1379 also known as Sir John Arundel was an English soldier. He was born in Etchingham, Sussex