★ Dublin Castle
Dublin castle is a major Irish governmental complex, conference centre and tourist attraction. It is located near Dame street in Dublin.
Until 1922 it was the seat of the British administration of the government in Ireland. Most of the current building dates back to the 18th century, although a castle stood on the site since the time of king John, the First Lord of Ireland. The castle served as the residence of the English, later British government of Ireland under the rule 1171-1541 Ireland, Kingdom of Ireland 1541-1800 and the United Kingdom of great Britain and Ireland, 1800-1922.
After signing the Anglo-Irish Treaty in December 1921, the complex was ceremonially handed over to the newly formed provisional government led by Michael Collins. Now will be the opening of each President of Ireland and various techniques.
The castle was built in the dark pool "oak Lynne," which gave Dublin its name. This pool is located on the lower reaches the vile river to its confluence with the river Liffey, when the castle was built, the Liffey was much wider, and the castle was effectively defended both of the rivers. Vile is now working in the complex.
1. The role. (Роль)
Dublin castle fulfilled a number of roles throughout its history. Originally built as a defensive structure for the city of Norman in Dublin, and later it became the official residence used by the Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland or Viceroy of Ireland, the representative of the monarch. Second in command in the Dublin castle administration, the chief Secretary for Ireland, also has its offices. Over the years Parliament and law courts met at the castle before moving to new purpose built sites. He also served as a base for a military garrison and later of intelligence.
After the formation of the Free state in 1922, the castle was temporarily assumed the role of the four courts, a building which was severely damaged during the Civil war. This agreement will be valid for ten years.
This decision was taken in 1938 that the inauguration of the first President of Ireland Douglas Hyde will be in the castle, and the complex was the host of this ceremony so far. The castle is also used for hosting official state visits as well as more informal commitments of foreign Affairs, State banquets, including that for the visit of Queen Elizabeth II in 2011, and the government begins policy. He also serves as the Central base for Irelands hosting of the European approximately every 10 years. Was established for the European presidency in 1990 and 2013, two special meeting rooms, a conference center of Hibernia and tasty, and are available for hire from the private sector too.
Locks the front and associated collection of historical materials form accredited Museum, the castle complex is also home to the Garda Siochana unit and the Garda Museum, some parts of the Department of public works, some of the functions of the Commissioners of the Irish company and the company Museum and the Chester Beatty library.
2. History. (История)
Dublin castle was first founded as a major defensive work by Meiler Fitzhenry on the orders of king John of England in 1204, some time after the Norman invasion of Ireland in 1169, when it was commanded that a castle be built with strong walls and good ditches for the defence of the city, administration of justice and protection of the Royal treasures. Largely complete by 1230, the castle was of typical Norman courtyard design, with a Central square without a trace, bounded on all sides by high defensive walls and protected at each corner by a Round tower. Located to the South-East of Norman Dublin, the castle formed one corner of the outer perimeter of the city, with a sneaky river as a natural means of defence along two of its sides. The city wall directly adjoining castles of the North-East Powder tower, extending North and West around the city before returning to the castle on its South-West Bermingham tower. In 1620 the English-born judge Luke Gernon was very impressed with the wall: "a huge and mighty wall, Foursquare, and incredibly thick".
In the vile was diverted into the city through archways, walls, adjacent to the castle, artificially flooding the moat of the fortress city of the hills. One of them is the arch and part of the wall to survive, buried in the buildings of the 18th century, and are open for public inspection.
Throughout the Medieval wooden buildings in the square, the castle has evolved and changed, the most important addition is a large hall, built of stone and of wood, variously used as a Parliament house, court and Banquet hall. The building survived until 1673, when it was damaged by fire and was soon demolished. The court of castle chamber, the Irish counterpart of the English star chamber, sitting at Dublin castle, in a room that was specially created for this about 1570. The castle suffered serious damage from a fire in 1684. The overhaul has transformed it from a medieval fortress into a Georgian Palace. No trace of medieval buildings remains above ground today, except for the great record tower CA. 1228-1230, it is the only surviving tower of the original fortification, its battlements an early 19th-century addition.
United Irish General Joseph Holt, a participant in the 1798 rebellion, was imprisoned in the Bermingham tower, and then transported to New South Wales in 1799.
In 1884, the officers at the castle was at the centre of a sensational homosexual scandal provoked by the Irish nationalist politician William obrien through his newspaper United Ireland.
In 1907, Irish jewelry was stolen from the castle. Suspicion fell on an officer of arms, sir Arthur vicars, but rumors of his homosexuality, and links to socially important gay men in London may have jeopardized the investigation. The jewels were never recovered.
At the beginning of the Easter rising of 1916, in force twenty-five Irish citizen Army members managed to capture the entrance and the guardroom of the castle before reinforcements for the garrison arrived. During the Anglo-Irish war, the castle was the nerve centre of the British effort against Irish separatism. On the night of Bloody Sunday in 1920, three Irish Republican Army members dick McKee, Conor Clune and Peadar Clancy, were tortured and killed there.
When the Irish Free state emerged in 1922, Dublin castle ceased to function as administrative space. He served for several years as temporary courts. After the court vacated the premises, the castle was used for ceremonies. As Chairman of the Executive Council, Eamon de Valera has received the authority have newly arrived ambassadors in Ireland on behalf of king George V in 1930-ies. In 1938, Douglas Hyde was inaugurated as President of Ireland at the castle. The opening of the subsequent presidents place in 1945, 1952, 1959, 1966, 1973, 1974, 1976, 1983, 1990, 1997 and 2011. President Childers Erskine Hamilton deceased was held in November 1974, as did former President Eamon de Valera in September 1975.
3. The condition of the apartment. (Состояние квартиры)
The condition of the apartment, located in the southern range of the upper yard, contain the rooms formerly used of the Lord Lieutenant for personal accommodation and public entertaining events during the season castle. Today these richly decorated rooms are used by the Irish government for official events, including policy launches, conducting the state visit ceremonies and the inauguration of the President every seven years. Apartments and their collections form an accredited Museum.
The main public rooms of the complex include:Saint Patricks Hall
This is the grandest room of the apartment, and contains one of the most important decorative interiors in Ireland. The former ballroom of the Lord Lieutenant of the administration, today the room is used for presidential inauguration. If the President of Ireland, dies in office, such as H. Erskine Childers in 1974, it is in here. This is one of the oldest rooms in the castle, Dating back to 1740-ies, though its decoration largely dates from c. 1790, including the most significant painted ceiling in Ireland executed by Vincenzo Valdre. 1742-1814. Consists of three panels, the ceiling depicts the coronation of king George III, Saint Patrick introducing Christianity to Ireland and king Henry II of submission of the Irish chiefs. A state dinner on behalf of the President of Ireland to welcome Queen Elizabeth II to Ireland was held here the evening of 18 may 2011.
After the abolition of the Church of Ireland in 1871, the Order of St. Patrick, Irelands chivalric order, had its Grand home from the Cathedral. Patrick at St. Patricks hall. Banners and hatchment plates of the knights who lived during the time of independence, Ireland remain in place.Throne room
Originally built as the battleaxe Hall in the 1740s, it was converted to a presence chamber around 1790. Royal decoration dates from the time and from changes in the 1830-ies. It contains a throne built for the visit of king George IV to Ireland in 1821.State drawing room
Built in the 1830-ies as the main reception room of the Lord Lieutenant and his family, today this room is reserved is used to receive foreign dignitaries. Largely destroyed by fire in 1941, was completed reconstruction of the house with minor changes in 1964-1968 for OPV, the use of salvaged and replicated furnishings and fittings.State dining room
Also called the picture gallery, and formerly known as dinner in the room, the oldest room in the castle and largely retains its original decoration, having escaped major modification and fire over many years. It dates from Lord Chesterfield house apartments in the 1740s, and was intended for use as a parlor adjoining St. Patricks hall and as a personal dining room. Today the room is still used for dining when conferences are held in the hall of St. Patrick.State bedrooms
These former private quarters of the Lord Lieutenant were built five interconnecting rooms running along the back of the building, adjoining the spine corridor that separates them from the state drawing room. Completely rebuilt in 1960-ies after a fire in 1941, the rooms feature original courtly sequence and today are used as ancillary drawing and meeting rooms to the principal apartments. The last dignitary to stay in the Royal bedrooms was Prime Minister of great Britain Margaret Thatcher, who spent the night with her husband Dennis during one of the meetings of the European Council, held in 1980-ies.State corridor
The most architectural space of the apartments, this expressive, deeply modelled corridor was built 1758 V. project surveyor General, Thomas Eyre. Based on the beginning of the 18th century the hall Edward Lovett Pearce in the former Parliament house on College green, it features a marching procession of vaults and arches that were originally the best lighting. Unfortunately, office storey was built over the skylights following complete reconstruction of the corridor in the 1960-ies as a result of differential settlement with the reconstruction of the adjacent living room. The hallway has a precise plaster casts of the original arch trim, and original doorcases and fireplaces save up to perestroika.
4. Tower. (Башня)
The castle includes towers in two corners, other towers that once existed disappeared without a trace.Bermingham Tower
The basis of the original Bermingham tower is one of the few surviving parts of the original castle. On the South-Western corner of the castle, the tower has a modern top. It is unclear who the members of the family of De Bermingham tower was named in honor of may, William and Walter, or John, or sir Walter.Record Tower
The entry tower on the South-Eastern corner is another original part of the castle. It has housed the Museum of Garda in 2017 to resume in the Treasury building.Octagonal tower Bedford Tower Powder Tower Corke Tower
5. Public institutions. (Государственные институты)
The complex houses, among other things, in some of the offices of commissioners profit, including stamping office in the building of the 20th century in the courtyard of the castle.
Some elements of the Department of public works in the Old stables area.
Some functions of the Garda Siochana is also based on the lock.
6. Tourism and culture. (Туризм и культура)
The complex of buildings usually open to the public, except for certain state functions. In the crypt of the chapel Royal is now used as a center for the arts, and sometimes concerts are held on the castle grounds.
The castle complex also hosts the Chester Beatty library, in a specially equipped room, café, Garda Museum, the Treasury building, and the Museum income.
In place of the former "dark pool" at the vile was converted into a garden, with a fountain in honor of the fallen police officers, as well as a helipad.
7. Popular media
The film. (Фильм)
Dublin castle has appeared in numerous films including Barry Lyndon, Michael Collins, Jane Austen and the medallion, as well as in the television series "the Tudors", where she plays the role of the Vatican in the pilot.
Dublin castle hosts the Heineken festival "green energy" in the may holiday weekend. Part of Dublin castle appears on the cover of a Jandek album, Khartoum variations.
- Dublin Castle was the centre of the government of Ireland under English and later British rule. Dublin Castle is used metonymically to describe British
- The Chapel Royal in Dublin Castle was the official Church of Ireland chapel of the Household of the Lord Lieutenant of Ireland from 1814 until the creation
- the castle gardens at the rear of Dublin Castle In Modern Irish the name is Duibhlinn, and Irish rhymes from County Dublin show that in Dublin Leinster
- The Dublin Castle is a pub and live music venue in Camden Town, London. It was built for Irish navvies working on railways in London, but gained prominence
- medieval Christchurch Cathedral, Dublin past Dublin Castle and the Royal Exchange, the latter a new building. The Castle began the process of rebuilding
- Castle Avenue Cricket Ground, also known as Clontarf Cricket Club Ground, is a cricket ground in the suburb of Clontarf, Dublin Ireland. It is one of
- Gallery of Ireland in Dublin This work is considered the most impressive of a dozen depictions Ruisdael made of Bentheim Castle In the early 1650s he
- appeared in Dublin the citizens, feeling themselves unable to defend the city, allowed his troops to enter and lay siege to Dublin Castle Among those
- known as Carrickbrennan Irish: Carraig Bhraonain is a suburb in south Dublin located in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown, Ireland. It is on the coast, between
- was constructed in 1719. It is located in Werburgh Street, close to Dublin Castle In Celtic and Danish times, the parish was known as that of St. Martin
- Castleknock Castle Clontarf Castle Croke Park Dalymount Park Dublin City Gallery The Hugh Lane Dublin City University Dublin Port Dublin Port Tunnel Dublin Writers
- laws. It stood on the south of the river, adjacent to Dublin Castle until 1685. Viking Dublin had a large slave market. Thralls were captured and sold
- on the city s southern side, the City Hall building stands next to Dublin Castle the centre of the British government in Ireland until 1922. Parliament
- The Dublin Gazette was the gazette, or official newspaper, of the Irish Executive, Britain s government in Ireland based at Dublin Castle between 1705
- Clancy and the civilian Conor Clune, was murdered after torture in Dublin Castle on Bloody Sunday 21 November 1920. After the creation of the Irish
- height of upwards of 150 feet The Black Castle sentinels the Dublin side of the valley, as did the White Castle over the Delvin River, on the opposing
- mayor. 1230 Dublin Castle built. 1283 Fire. 1348 Black Death. 1409 Mayor appointed. 1446 Weavers Guild chartered. 1541 Dublin becomes capital
- around Dublin A castle was built in Dundrum as part of this series of outer fortifications around the 13th century. Later in 1590, a newer castle was built
- Castle is a historic castle located in Swords, Dublin The castle was built as the manorial residence of the first Anglo - Norman Archbishop of Dublin
- This is a list of public art on permanent public display in Dublin Ireland. The list applies only to works of public art accessible in a public space
- Tallaght Castle also known as Tallaght House and formerly known as the Archiepiscopal Palace was a castle in Kilnamanagh, Tallaght, County Dublin Ireland
- Vikings invaded the territory around Dublin in the 9th century, establishing the Norse Kingdom of Dublin the earliest and longest - lasting Norse kingdom
- Magna Carta, who was also involved in the construction of Dublin s city walls, and Dublin Castle An order from King Henry III in 1225 allowed the collection
- Road - Crinken Castle House, Crinken, and Shanganagh House, an imposing mansion now surrounded by local authority housing estates. Clontra was built for Dublin barrister
- Rathfarnham Castle Irish: Caislean Rath Fearnain is a 16th - century fortified house in Rathfarnham, South Dublin Ireland. The earlier Irish castle was replaced
- The Archbishop of Dublin is a senior bishop in the Church of Ireland, second only to the Archbishop of Armagh. The archbishop is the diocesan bishop of
- castle a holy well from which it takes its name, a round tower and a Norman tower. Near to Dublin Airport, Swords is also home to one of the Dublin region s
- Elian s Dublin was a private Spanish international school in Bray, County Wicklow, Ireland, 18 kilometres 11 mi from the centre of Dublin The Spanish
- conquest of Ireland because of its location on the road between Dublin and Wexford, the castle was captured by Oliver Cromwell as he marched on Kilkenny in
- days before the disaster, a dispute had arisen between the Dublin porters and the castle officials. A crown official by the name of John Allen, the clerk