Топ-100 ★ Burnchurch Castle - castle .. Info | About | What's This?
Back

★ Burnchurch Castle - castle ..

Burnchurch Castle
                                     

★ Burnchurch Castle

Burnchurch castle, a national monument, is a well-preserved house of the 15th century Norman tower with a round gate tower, situated in the County of Kilkenny, Ireland. Burnchurch castle and tower, along with the Church, the Church of Ireland, and lip became a national monument in 1993.

It is said to have been built and owned by the Fitzgeralds of the house of Desmond in 15th century and continued to be occupied until 1817. It is 6.5 km 4.0 miles South-West from Kilkenny, from Clonmel road, 6 km from Ballybur near Cuffesgrange, outside the town of Callan, near the monastery of Kells. It is located in Burnchurch parish and was in the Barony Shillelogher.

                                     

1. Architecture. (Архитектура)

12.5 m round tower remains. Enclosed courtyard was originally attached to the castle. It has six floors, and has an unusually large number of passages and chambers inside the walls. The great hall was formerly attached to the outer wall of the tower, but now its gone, and most of the bawn with a 41-foot tower in one corner. Old drawings, date unknown, show remnants of buildings.

A tower house mural chambers and passages hidden away within their walls, though few have the number and complexity of those found in Burnchurch castle. Under the vault of the main chamber above, lies directly under the peaked roof. There are numerous narrow rooms in the walls, including a "secret room" on the fourth floor.

A curved outside staircase still provides access to the three upper floors of this little tower, so they can be studied. It has Windows and is noteworthy for its finely carved fireplace with a shake voussoir arches and tall round chimney. Rounded chimney can be a later improvement.

Its broadly similar in size and layout to Clara castle in Clara, but differs in that the gable-end wall is made in one floor higher than the other two walls and form elongated turrets with their won shaft walls in the highest part of the building. Burnchurch castle and Clara are good examples of the characteristic Irish style of stepped teeth.

He is known as one of several Irish towers with the slightly narrower sides of the castle extending up an additional floor, creating essentially a pair of wide towers.

                                     
  • also took first place at the 2007 International Sheepdog Trials at Burnchurch Castle in Ireland, again with Roy, equalling the record of three wins with
  • alias Barron Baron of Burnchurch 1543: James Eweetman 1564: William Sweetman 1579: Richard Fitzgerald, Baron of Burnchurch 1579 1586: Walter Walsh of
  • Aglishmartin, Portnescully, Poleroan, Clonmore, Ballytarsna, Tubrid, and part of Burnchurch The parish of Mooncoin has three churches - the main parish church in
  • 646 Coolhill Castle Donjon Coolhill 52 27 54 N 6 55 56 W 52.464942 N 6.932191 W 52.464942 - 6.932191 321 Burnchurch Castle Castle Tower Farmley
  • Ballylinch Ballytarsney Ballytobin Blackrath Blanchvilleskill Borrismore Burnchurch Callan Castlecomer Castleinch or Inchyolaghan Clara Clashacrow Clomantagh
  • Coolhill Castle Donjon Coolhill Kilkenny 52 27 54 N 6 55 56 W 52.464942 N 6.932191 W 52.464942 - 6.932191 321 Burnchurch Castle Castle Tower Farmley
  • Kilmademoge Kilkenny Burnchurch 588 Kilkenny Shillelogher Burnchurch Callan Burnchurch Viper 227 Kilkenny Shillelogher Burnchurch Callan Burntfurze 32
  • Fitzgerald Burnchurch Fitzmaurice before 1218 Maurice Fitzmaurice Castleknock Tyrrel c.1172 Hugh Tyrrel Castlemagner Magner February 1183 Castle built
                                     
  • Arra Burgesbeg Nenagh Burgesland 214 Iffa and Offa West Molough Clogheen Burnchurch 377 Slievardagh St. Johnbaptist Cashel Burncourt Town Iffa and Offa West

Encyclopedic dictionary

Translation
This website uses cookies. Cookies remember you so we can give you a better online experience.
preloader close
preloader