★ Chateau dAzay-le-Rideau
DAzay Chateau-Le-Rideau is located in Azay-Le-Rideau in the French Department of Indre-et-Loire. Built between 1518 and 1527, this castle is one of the best examples of early French architecture of the Renaissance. Located on an island in the Indre river, this picturesque castle was one of the most popular castles of the Loire valley.
1.1. History. The Origin Of The Chateau. (Происхождение Шато)
The current castle of Azay-Le-Rideau occupies the site of a former feudal castle. In the 12th century, the local Seigneur Rideau or Ridel dAzay, a knight in the service of Philip II Augustus, built a fortress here to protect the tours to Chinon road where it crossed the river Indre.
However, this original medieval castle fell victim to the rivalry between Burgundian and Armagnac factions During the hundred years war. In 1418, the future Charles VII passed Azay-Le-Rideau as he fled from Burgundian occupied Paris on the right Armagnac fortress of Bourges. Angered by the insults of the Burgundian troops occupied the town, the Dauphin ordered his army to storm the castle. 350 soldiers inside were all executed, and the castle burned to the ground. For centuries, this fate was commemorated in the name of the city of Azay-Le-Brûle literally Azay the burnt that was used until the 18th century.
1.2. History. In the Berthelots and the 16th century. (В Berthelots и 16-го века)
The castle remained in ruins until 1518, when the land was acquired by Gilles Berthelot, mayor of tours and Treasurer of the kings of Finance. Wanting a residence to reflect his wealth and status, set the spit about the reconstruction of the building in such a way that would incorporate its medieval past, as well as the Most recent styles of architecture of the Italian Renaissance. Despite the fact that the locks were mostly residential, fortifications remained important symbols of prestige and, therefore, Berthelot was to let them for a new lock. He justified his request to the king, Francis I exaggerated descriptions of many of the state thieves, bandits and other vagabonds, villains committing fights, disputes, thefts, theft, bullying, extortion, and various other troubles that threaten unfortified towns such as Azay-Le-Rideau.
Berthelots duties meant he was frequently absent from the castle, so the responsibility for control of construction work fell on his wife, Philippa Lesbahy. It took a long time because it was difficult to lay a solid Foundation in the damp earth of this island in the Indre, and the lock had to be raised on piles driven into the mud. Even after the Foundation was laid, construction was still progressing slowly, as most of the stone for the castle came from Saint-Aignan quarry, which was known for its strong stone, but was also about 100 km 62 miles, which means that heavy units had to be delivered in Azay-Le-Rideau by boat.
The castle was still incomplete in 1527, after the execution of Jacques de Beaune, the chief Minister responsible for Finance and cousin Gilles Berthelot was forced to flee the country. Possible, for fear of exposing his own financial offences, he went into exile, first in Metz in Lorraine, and later in Cambrai, where he died just two years later. Ignoring pleas Berthelots the wife of Philip, Francis I confiscated the unfinished castle and, in 1535, gave Antoine Ruffin, one of his knights-at-arms. The Ruffin were only minor repairs in the castle, and therefore no construction has completed on the South and West wings of the planned four-party is not built. Thus, the château preserved the distinctive, but accidental, L-shape, which it retains to this day.
1.3. History. The 17th and 18th centuries. (17 и 18 веков)
In 1583, Raffins granddaughter Antoinette, a former lady in waiting to Margaret of Valois, lived in the castle and, with the help of her husband guy de Saint Gelais, began to remodel the decor. Azay-Le-Rideau was then inherited by their son Arthur and his wife françoise de Souvre, a future governess to Louis XIV, and he was in their ownership that new castle had its first Royal visit on June 27, 1619, when he went from Paris to visit his mother, Mary de Medici to Blois, Louis XIII broke his journey to spend the night in Azay-Le-Rideau. Later in the century, his son Louis XIV would also be a guest in the same room.
1.4. History. In Biencourts and 19th century. (В Biencourts и 19 века)
In Raffins and their relations by marriage in Vasses retained ownership of the castle until 1787, when it was sold for 300.000 livres to the Marquis Charles de Biencourt, field Marshal of the army of the kings. The castle was in a poor state, though from 1820-ies, Biencourt undertook extensive alteration. In 1824 he added the Chinese room destroyed in the 1860-ies on the ground floor in the South wing, and in 1825 or 1826 decorated the library with carved wood panelling in the tone of a living room on the opposite side.
It was his son, Armand-françois-Marie, the guard of Louis XVI, who participated in the defence of the Tuileries on 10 August 1792, who began the first extensive restoration of the castle. This included the restoration of the old medallions and Royal insignia on the stairs, which was covered in the course of the Revolution, extending the facade of the courtyard and adding a new tower in the Eastern corner. These events destroyed the last remnants of an ancient fortress and meant that the castle has finally made the finished look. For these renovations, he employed the Swiss architect Pierre-Charles Dusillon, who also worked at the neighboring castle of Ussé.
During the Franco-Prussian war, the castle was once again threatened with destruction. He has served as the headquarters for the Prussian troops in the area, but when one night a chandelier fell from the ceiling onto the table where their leader, Prince Friedrich Karl of Prussia, was dining, he suspected the assassination and ordered his soldiers to set fire to the house. Only the assurances of the officers that the lamp is dropped by accident persuaded him to stay his hand and thus saved the castle from the second burn.
After Prussian troops retreat, Azay-Le-Rideau returned to Biencourts. During this period the castle became well-known collection of more than 300 historical portraits which the owners displayed there and which, unusually for a private collection, may visit the public. In 1899, financial difficulties forced the young widower Charles-Marie-Christian de Biencourt to sell the castle along with its furniture and 540 hectares of land to the businessman Achille Arteau, a former lawyer from tours who wanted to sell its contents for profit. As a result, the castle was emptied and its artwork and furniture dispersed.
1.5. History. The castle in the 20th century. (Замок в 20 веке)
In 1905 the estate was purchased by the French government 250.000 francs and became a listed historical monument. In the first years of the Second world war, 1939-1940, the castle with the Ministry of education when they, like many other French ministries, withdrew from Paris. DAzay Chateau-Le-Rideau is now one of the national monuments under the protection of the center of national monuments, and is also part of the site of the Loire valley UNESCO world heritage site.
2.1. Architecture and decoration. Exterior. (Экстерьер)
Located on an island in the Indre, the castle of Azay-Le-Rideau seems to rise straight from the waters of the river, which reflects the locks the fronts so that the castle is floating in his image and likeness. The writer Balzac, who lived nearby and was occasionally a guest in the castle, deeply admired the building, describing it as a faceted diamond set in the Indre. In this striking setting has helped Azay-Le-Rideau to become one of the most famous of many Loires castles.
This relatively small castle is divided into two parts, the Central body and the wing at right angles to it, and displays a mixture of architectural styles. The influence of the fashionable Italian Renaissance style is clear in long proportions and ornate sculptural decorations. Along with these elements of the Italian style, remains of the medieval defensive architecture, such as the traces of the covered walkway on the exterior walls or masculane under the roof that are no longer needed for defense, but was included in the design of the castles because of their symbolic prestige. Finally, other architectural elements such as the Bastion corners with their pointed conical towers, vertical skylights, split rate line, and the high, sharply sloping slate roof, help to give Azay-Le-Rideau it is unmistakably French in appearance.
Castles are the most characteristic feature is a large Central staircase dhonneur. Its design was inspired by the stairs of the Chateau de Chateaudun, what it looks like on the outside, though its internal structure is very different. Azay-Le-Rideaus staircase rises in straight flights rather than in a spiral, as usual at this time and is the oldest surviving staircase of this kind in France.
The staircase has three floors, each with a double Bay window, forming a mezzanine overlooking the courtyard. The hall, which resembles a Roman triumphal arch, is decorated with the initials of Gilles Berthelot and his wife, while the pediments overhanging each window Bay are carved with the Salamander and ermine of Francis I and his wife Claude of the French, in honor of the monarch of the time. Inside, the ceiling of the staircase is composed of sculptural medallions with the profiles of the kings and Queens of France from Louis XI to Henry IV. With its columns and pilasters and decorative carved shells, medallions and other symbols, this spectacular staircase is a striking example of the influence of Italian Renaissance style design of castles.
2.2. Architecture and decoration. Interior. (Интерьер)
The castles of the rich sculptural decoration of the interior reflects the influence of the Italian Renaissance. It consists of several drawing rooms and stately apartments, most of which are decorated in neo-Renaissance style popular in the 19th century. Many of these rooms display 16th - and 17th-century Flemish tapestries, especially the scene from the old Testament woven in Oudenaarde, "history of psyche", which was established in Brussels and which, in 2009, was the inspiration for the castles exhibition on Greek mythology. The castle also has a significant art collection, including ladies AU Bain, perhaps with a picture of Diane de Poitiers, Francois Clouet, and several portraits of French monarchs including Francis I, Henry III and Catherine de Medici.
It should also be noted attics, where charpenteбыл French, or hand made wooden frame that supports the roof has been recently restored and 2010-11 can be viewed alongside an exhibition explaining the complex techniques of its construction.
3. Park and gardens. (Парк и сады)
The current gardens were designed in the 19th century Biencourts, which created a large landscape Park in the English style. To the South and to the West, the river creates a mirror of water for the castle, the reflecting facades and the creation of an attractive spectacle.
- Azay - le - Rideau in the Indre - et - Loire department Chateau d Azay - le - Rideau a chateau in Azay - le - Rideau Azay - sur - Cher, in the Indre - et - Loire department Azay - sur - Indre
- Villandry Chateau du Clos Luce Chateau d Usse Tours Cathedral Chinon Chateau de Chenonceau Chateau d Azay - le - Rideau Chateau d Amboise Montresor Cantons of
- ornate ceilings and railings e. g. Chateau de Chambord, Palazzo Barberini and Chateau d Azay - le - Rideau or Chateau de Chenonceau With the increasing
- of the Ancien Regime. Chateau de Montsoreau Chateau de Chambord Chateau de Saumur Chateau de Brissac Chateau d Azay - le - Rideau Chateauesque List of castles
- coffered ceiling decorated with sculpture. Chateau of Azay - le - Rideau 1518 1527 The grand stairway of Azay - le - Rideau the centerpiece of the facade Window
- Chateau de Montsoreau, Chateau d Amboise, Chateau d Azay - le - Rideau Chateau de Chambord, Chateau de Chinon, Chateau du Rivau, Chateau d Usse, Chateau
- from Chenin grapes. Touraine Azay - le - Rideau located in the wine - growing area surrounding the Chateau of Azay - le - Rideau this village gives its name to
- the July Monarchy 1815 1848 In his novel he also mentions the chateau Azay - le - Rideau which can still be visited today. Henriette de Mortsauf was modelled
- as the towers at La Rochelle, and Renaissance chateaux such as Azay - le - Rideau to Le Corbusier s Villa Savoye. The CMN is also responsible for making
- Artannes - sur - Indre 37006 Azay - le - Rideau 37014 Azay - sur - Cher 37015 Ballan - Mire 37018 Berthenay 37025 Brehemont 37038 Chambray - les - Tours 37050 Chançay
- Issoudun Lothiers Luant Luçay - le - Male Neuvy - Pailloux Reuilly Sainte - Lizaigne Valençay Varennes - sur - Fouzon Amboise Azay - le - Rideau Azay - sur - Cher Ballan Blere - la - Croix
- technological history museum located near the Chateau of Azay - le - Rideau France Fresne disambiguation le Fresne disambiguation de Fresne disambiguation
- 1499 - 1508 Chateau de Chenonceau 1515 - 1521 designed by Philibert de l Orme Chateau d Azay - le - Rideau 1518 - 1527 Chateau de Chambord 1519 1547 Chateau d Ecouen
- Verneuil - le - Chateau is a commune in the Indre - et - Loire department in central France. Communes of the Indre - et - Loire department INSEE commune file Populations
- Betz - le - Chateau is a commune in the Indre - et - Loire department in central France. Communes of the Indre - et - Loire department INSEE commune file Populations
- technological history museum located in the mill at Marnay, near the Chateau of Azay - le - Rideau France. It has acquired numerous important objects displayed
- The cantons of the arrondissement of Chinon were, as of January 2015: Azay - le - Rideau Bourgueil Chinon L Ile - Bouchard Langeais Richelieu Sainte - Maure - de - Touraine
- La Poste Azay - le - Rideau Chateau d Azay - le - Rideau Musee Maurice Dufresne Tours Musee des Beaux - Arts de Tours Musee du Compagnonnage Chateau de Sache Pontlevoy
- neorenaissance chateau was built from 1895 to 1899 by Stephen Liegeard on the model of several chateaux of the Loire Valley, particularly the Chateau of Azay - le - Rideau
- granddaughters, president of the association of the Friends of Chateau d Azay - le - Rideau owner of Chateau de La Chatonniere. 1809 1817: Comtesse Edmond de Perigord
- of climbing roses. Azay - le - Rideau - The Gardens of la Chatonniere are located three kilometers from the chateau of Azay - le - Rideau They were created beginning
- Amboise, Cheverny, Chaumont or Chenonceau, and about an hour s drive from Azay - le - Rideau Loches or Chambord. The summer is their tourist season. The French
- bed in the King s bedchamber is a 1989 copy of a bed kept in the Chateau d Azay - le - Rideau thought to be very similar to the lost original. The portraits
- Chateau - la - Valliere is a commune in the Indre - et - Loire department in central France. The Chateau de Vaujours, situated 3 kilometres south of Chateau - la - Valliere
- Azay - sur - Cher is a commune in the Indre - et - Loire department in central France. Communes of the Indre - et - Loire department INSEE commune file Populations
- and Loudun, to cities like Tours, Langeais, Chinon, Rigny - Usse and Azay - le - Rideau Inaugurated in 1917, it witnessed the first act of resistance of World
- Azay - sur - Indre is a commune in the Indre - et - Loire department in central France. The Indrois flows west through the eastern part of the commune, then flows
- its castles, such as the Chateau d Amboise, Chateau d Angers, Chateau de Chambord, Chateau de Montsoreau, Chateau d Usse, Chateau de Villandry and Chenonceau
- chateaux were built on hilltops, such as the Chateau d Amboise, while the only one built in the riverbed is the Chateau de Montsoreau. Many had exquisite churches
- philosopher, known as Le Philosophe Inconnu d 1803 Abd el Kader Ibn Mouhi Ad - Din c. 1807 83 was imprisoned at the Chateau d Amboise. During 2019