Топ-100 ⓘ Burg Castle, Solingen. Burg Castle, located in Burg an der W
Back

ⓘ Burg Castle, Solingen. Burg Castle, located in Burg an der Wupper, is the largest reconstructed castle in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany and a popular tourist ..

Burg Castle (Solingen)
                                     

ⓘ Burg Castle (Solingen)

Burg Castle, located in Burg an der Wupper, is the largest reconstructed castle in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany and a popular tourist attraction. Its early history is closely connected to the rise of the Duchy of Berg.

                                     

1. Early history

At the beginning of the 12th century after 1133, Count Adolf III of Berg built Schloss Burg on a mountain overlooking the river Wupper. The old castle of the counts, Castle Berge in Odenthal near Altenberg, was abandoned. The original name of the new castle was Castle Neuenberge Newmountain, or in Latin, novus mons, novum castrum, or novi montis castrum. Not until the 15th century, after significant reconstruction as a hunting castle, did it receive its current name reflecting its palatial extension.

His great-grandson, Count Adolf VI of Berg took part in the Fifth Crusade and died during the siege of Damietta in Egypt in 1218. Since the late count had no male descendants his younger brother, Archbishop Engelbert I of Cologne, took over the reign of the county needing two feuds to win the inheritance dispute with Duke Waleran III of Limburg. As count Engelbert II of Berg he built the palas of Burg castle 1218-1225. Engelbert was a very powerful man, not only archbishop and count, but also advisor and chief administrator to the Holy Roman Emperor Frederick II, and guardian and tutor of the later king Henry VII of Germany. But he also made enemies and on November 7, 1225 he was murdered by his nephew Friedrich von Isenberg.

The War of succession for the Duchy of Limburg influenced the history of the castle. Count Adolf VIII of Berg participated successfully in the decisive battle of Worringen on 5 June 1288. After the battle, the opposing archbishop of Cologne, Siegfried II of Westerburg, was kept prisoner in the castle. Adolf VIII now was able to proceed to elevate his town, Dusseldorf, to a city and was able to control traffic on the Rhine river. In the 13th and 14th centuries Schloss Burg remained the main residence of the counts of Berg. Five years after King Wenzel elevated Count William to the position of a duke in 1380, Dusseldorf became the capital of the Duchy of Berg. Schloss Burg continued to serve as a hunting castle and was used for ceremonial events, hence it became a "Schloss" representative castle. Thus in 1496, Maria of Julich-Berg was engaged as a child to John of Cleves-Mark later John III, Duke of Cleves. Their wedding took place 14 years later at Burg and led to the unification of the duchies of Julich-Cleves-Berg. The second daughter of this couple was Anne of Cleves, briefly married with Henry VIII of England.

                                     

2. Decay

In 1632 Swedish soldiers laid siege to the castle. After the Thirty years war, in 1648, Imperial troops destroyed the fortifications of the castle including the keep, walls, and gates. In 1700, the main building was partially reconstructed and subsequently used for administrative purposes. 1849, the castle was sold to be scrapped, decayed, and became a ruin.

                                     

3. Restoration

The architect Gerhard August Fischer from Barmen proposed in 1882 the reconstruction and submitted drawings and plans based on old documents, primarily using the castle’s appearance in the 16th century. Since 1890 the castle reconstruction committee led the restoration of the castle during the next 24 years. Painters from the Kunstakademie Dusseldorf participated. With the erection of the Battery Tower in 1914 the work seemed completed.

On the night of November 26, 1920 a large fire destroyed much of the castle. Subsequently visitors had to pay entry fees and the money was used to restore and rebuild the castle again. Reconstruction lasted from 1922 to 1925. In 1929 the Engelbert monument by the sculptor Paul Wynand was dedicated to honor the builder and archbishop.

Today’s appearance does not exactly match the condition documented by Erich Philipp Ploennies at about 1715. The reconstructed castle of today is a major public attraction. It also contains the Museum of the Bergische Land. The castle church is popular for weddings. The castle also is home to the Memorial for Deportation and the Memorial of the German Eastern Provinces with church bells from Konigsberg and Breslau. In addition, commercial shops for souvenirs are located on the grounds.

The surroundings offer hiking trails to the forests and to Unterburg, that is where the village is located, at the foot of the mountain. There you can buy the Burger Brezel, a local pretzel specialty; the pretzel bakers even have a monument. A chairlift Seilbahn connects Unterburg and the castle.

Burg used to be an independent township until it became part of Solingen in 1975.



                                     

4. Trivia

Linguistically, "Schloss Burg" would be translated as "palace castle" - a tautology, yet in German "Schloss" refers to a representative building and "Burg" to a fortification - an oxymoron.

                                     

5. Literature

  • Dirk Soechting: Schloss Burg als Postkarte, Verlag Ute Kierdorf, Remscheid 1980, ISBN 3-922055-26-5.
  • Dirk Sochting: Schloss Burg an der Wupper. Sutton Verlag 2004, 96 Seiten, 124 Abbildungen, ISBN 3-89702-761-5.
  • Elke Lutterbach: Schloss Burg an der Wupper Ritterburgen Band 1. J.P. Bachem Verlag 2003, 144 Seiten, 250 Abbildungen, ISBN 3-7616-1699-6
                                     
  • Burg Castle German: Schloss Burg may refer to: Burg Castle Solingen in the German state of North Rhine - Westphalia Burg Castle Burg im Leimental
  • in the city include: Schloss Burg the castle of the counts of Berg Mungsten Bridge, a railroad bridge connecting Solingen with the neighbour town of Remscheid
  • The Solingen trolleybus system German: Oberleitungsbussystem Solingen also known locally as the Stangentaxi, serves the city of Solingen in the federal
  • Schloss Burg near Solingen Stolberg Castle Stolberg Rhineland Burg Tecklenburg, Tecklenburg Schloss Hardenberg, Velbert Munchhausen Castle Wachtberg
  • the first double chairlift in Germany was constructed at the Burg Castle in Solingen in just over three months of construction, which was already at
  • of Waltenhofen, Oberallgau, Bavaria Oberburg an der Wupper, quarter of Solingen North Rhine - Westphalia, Germany German name of Gornji Grad Slovenia
  • Schwerin Castle sculptor, Christian Genschow The Obotrite Prince Niklot in Schwerin Castle Archbishop Engelbert II by Paul Wynand in Schloss Burg 1925
  • in Germany near Mungsten, between Remscheid and Solingen A few kilometers further down, Burg Castle is located on a hill overlooking the river. From


                                     
  • Wuppertal Pina Bausch, which performs internationally. Bausch was born in Solingen the daughter of August and Anita Bausch, who owned a restaurant with guest
  • Microsoft, Frankfurt Kronberg, Germany Helmut Tollmann Soul of Chip Castle Solingen - Burg Germany 1995 CeBIT Trade Fair, Hannover, Germany Hot Ware Exhibition
  • Deportation and the Memorial of the German Eastern Provinces in Burg Castle in Solingen Peter Davies: Myth, Matriarchy and Modernity: Johann Jakob Bachofen
  • The International Castle Research Society ICRS was established in Aachen in 1986 as a not - for - profit organization following earlier initiatives by Bernhard
  • Duchess of Julich - Berg 1491 1543 She grew up in Schloss Burg on the edge of Solingen Anne s father was influenced by Erasmus and followed a moderate
  • attending memorial services for the victims of neo - Nazi attacks in Molln and Solingen The services were snubbed by Chancellor Helmut Kohl, who dismayed many
  • of Merit I. Class with Swords. Residing in Solingen after the war 323.311 1 May 1939 3.471.565 Anton Burger Commandant of Theresienstadt concentration
  • Wine Road Wildlife and Walking Park 100 500 15 Home page Solingen Zoo Fauna Solingen Solingen Bird Park and Zoo Sommerhausen Sommerhausen Wildlife Park

Encyclopedic dictionary

Translation
This website uses cookies. Cookies remember you so we can give you a better online experience.
preloader close
preloader