Топ-100 ★ Gleninagh - castle .. Info | About | What's This? | googl
Back

★ Gleninagh - castle ..

Gleninagh
                                     

★ Gleninagh

Gleninagh or Glaninagh is a civil parish in County Clare, Ireland. It is located in the extreme North-West of the Burren, to the South from the mouth of Galway Bay. He is known for well-preserved l-plan Gleninagh castle, a 16th century tower house. The parish also contains the lighthouse at black head.

                                     

1. Name. (Название)

Gleann Eidhneach means the Valley of ivy. However, it is possible that the correct Irish name is actually cluain Eidhneach or "the ivied retreat". The name is preceded by the lock you see below. Parishes often called in the main Church and it can be in this case.

                                     

2. Location. (Расположение)

A parish in the North-West corner of the Barony of Burren. It is 13 miles 21 km North of Ennistymon. Parish 2 miles by 0.75 3.22 1.21 km and covers an area of 4.292 1.737 ha. It contains the bold Cape of black head lighthouse, on the South side of the entrance to Galway Bay. The land is broken and mountainous.

                                     

3.1. Antiquities. Castle. (Замок)

In the 16th-century Gleninagh castle, an L-shaped building is the tower, located on a hillside with views of Galway Bay.

It was OLoghlen or OLoughlin fortress of the early 16th century. Although he many times passed from hands in hands over the following centuries, it was returned to the family, who used it to si. 1840. In 1839, he was described as "good repair." A visitor in 1843 said the castle was used as a barn by Mr. blood, its proprietor. In the upper part of the building was used as a dove-cot and a lot of pigeons.

The tower measures 31.8 feet 9.7 m 27.6 ft 8.4 m. In 1839 he was a straw. There are four stories. The only square tower contains a spiral staircase. The front door on the first floor of the tower is protected malekula above. There are round bartizans at the three main corners of the tower. A number of window openings in the front wall later, it was most likely closed in the late 16th or early 17th century, so they can be used for fireplaces.



                                     

3.2. Antiquities. Church. (Церковь)

The medieval Church of uncertain age, but was in existence 1302 on the list of taxes. There are some indications that the site may have been monastic settlements, such as curvilinear field walls are shown on the 1842 OS map, which could be the rest of a typical monastic enclosure wall. Waste was discovered near the Church there are other signs of habitation such as outbuildings. Absent works, however, the age of the Church site remains uncertain.

The Church was described in 1839 as shrouded in thick ivy. Floor measured 38 feet by 13.33 11.58 by 4.06 m. the Walls were of a thickness of 2.5 feet 0.76 m and a length of about 8 feet 2.4 m tall. The South wall had pointed to the doorway of hewn stone, which was 5.33 ft height 1.62 m, measured to the top of the arch, and 3.1 feet wide and 0.94 m. In the southern wall had two Windows, one quadrangular and the other round riding like recently. There was a window on the East gable about 8 feet 2.4 m and a width of 3.66 m 1.12 feet Outside the window opening was 5.5 inches 140 mm.

In 1897, the Church was in good state of preservation.

Today, though in poor condition, it is available to the public via a footpath from the road. The Church is a small parish Church, which probably reflects the small population and the poverty of the district, which may have been the worst parish of the diocese of Kilfenora.

                                     

3.3. Antiquities. Gleninagh Lodge. (Gleninagh Лодж)

Partially overgrown remains of this structure lie at the end of the alley connecting the street to the tower house. Mid-19th-century maps show a substantial build large buildings. The estate included a large formal South of the Holy garden. At that time most of the land in this area belonged to the owner of the Lodge, William Bindon blood, a descendant of Colonel Thomas blood who attempted to steal the jewels of the English crown in 1671.

                                     

3.4. Antiquities. Other. (Другие)

Near the castle is a Holy well dedicated to the Holy Cross, which has many recorded names. The well has a small stone arch over it, with a Gothic type arch and cross on top. It was considered that the implementation of the station could help with eye problems. In the early 1840s, years dues, according to reports, include a human skull. At least until this period is also a place for pilgrims. Another well called Tobar Cornain or Tobercornan in the area of Gleninagh North. Today it is covered with neo-Gothic well-house C. 1860 and is right next to the road.

There is a large heap of stones called dough Branneen "the heap of little bran" in townland of Aughaglinny. There is a stone close to called Caher DOON Fergus in Townsend from Murroogh with caves under it, as they say, is haunted.

To the East of the castle is a lime kiln, previously thought to be a Fulacht Fiadh.

                                     

4. History. (История)

In 1544 king Henry VIII of England granted Gleninagh to Richard Harding. The castle was owned by James Lynch of Galway in 1570. The land belonged to Gleninagh see Kilfenora in 1629.

In 1837 the parish was in the Catholic Union or district of Glyn, or Glenarraha. The population in 1841 was 886 in 146 houses. In 1845 the main settlements were the villages Glaninagh, Murroghkelly and Murroghwohy.

                                     
  • Murrooghtoohy North and Murrooghtoohy South. It is within the parish of Gleninagh in the Barony of Burren. The area was officially classified as part of
  • glaciated U - shaped valleys. To the east is the Gleninagh Valley Irish: Gleann Eidhneach from which the Gleninagh river flows. This valley is bounded by two
  • valleys. To the northeast is the Gleninagh Valley Irish: Gleann Eidhneach, meaning Valley of Ivy from which the Gleninagh river flows to the west of Bencorr
  • streams in the area, but most importantly from the Gleninagh River that starts high up in the Gleninagh Valley on the slopes of Benbaun and Bencollaghduff
  • Owenglin Horseshoe is also a noted hill - walking route Gleninagh eastern valley from which the Gleninagh river flows contains Carrot Ridge, an important area
  • L - plan towerhouse Balingarry Castle is located in the town of Balingarry. Gleninagh Castle is a 16th - century towerhouse in a state of partial preservation
  • Bealaclugga, Currenroe, Ballyvaughan, Ballyconree, Ballinacraggy, Loughrusk, Gleninagh Murroghkelly, Murroghtwohy, Fermoyle, Noughaval, Aughnish and Finavara
  • streams in the area, but most importantly from the Gleninagh River that starts high up in the Gleninagh Valley on the slopes of Benbaun and Bencollaghduff
  • Connemara, the Coyne brothers, stuck in town after their ship had sunk at Gleninagh pier. In May 1921, an Irish Republican Army IRA unit of approximately
  • Drumcliff Drumcreehy Drumline Dysert now part of Ruan Feakle Feenagh Gleninagh Inagh Inchicronan Inishcaltra Kilballyowen Kilchreest Kilconry Kilcorney
  • restored castle, hotel Dromore Castle Dunmackelim Castle Freagh Castle Gleninagh Castle Gregans Castle Inchiquin Castle, castle ruins Kiltanon Castle Knappogue


                                     
  • information Length 14.8 km 9.2 mi Major junctions From N59 Kylemore Crosses Gleninagh River Passes Lough Inagh To N59 Lissoughter west of Recess Road network
  • District of Ennistimon Corrofin, Derreen, Drumcreehy, Dysert, Ennistimon, Gleninagh Glenroe, Kilfenora, Killaspuglonane, Killilagh, Killinaboy, Kilshanny
  • Upper Tulla Tulla Aghaglinny North 521 Burren Gleninagh Ballyvaghan Aghaglinny South 461 Burren Gleninagh Ballyvaghan Aghawinnaun 1, 545 Burren Oughtmama
  • Friary 509 Gleninagh Castle Castle Gleninagh North 53 08 16 N 9 12 21 W 53.137656 N 9.205919 W 53.137656 - 9.205919 Gleninagh Castle 14 Inchicronan
  • Glassillaunvealnacurra Illaungraffanavrankagh 22 uncertain Townland Clare, Burren, Gleninagh Illaungraffanavrankagh Loughaunfiddaunbuntack 22 Lochan Fheadan Bhun
  • Oughterard Glenicmurrin 2482 Moycullen Kilcummin Galway Gleninagh 2654 Ballynahinch Moyrus Clifden Gleninagh 657 Ballynahinch Ballynakill Clifden Glenloughaun
  • Friary 509 Gleninagh Castle Castle Gleninagh North Clare 53 08 16 N 9 12 21 W 53.137656 N 9.205919 W 53.137656 - 9.205919 Gleninagh Castle 14

Encyclopedic dictionary

Translation
This website uses cookies. Cookies remember you so we can give you a better online experience.
preloader close
preloader