Топ-100 ★ Athenry Castle - castle .. Info | About | What's This? |
Back

★ Athenry Castle - castle ..

Athenry Castle
                                     

★ Athenry Castle

Athenry castle is located at Court Lane in the Eastern part of Athenry, on the West Bank of the river Clarin. It is located on a natural rise and defended Ford.

                                     

1. History. (История)

Although locally known as king Johns Castle or the court of king John after the Lord of Ireland 1177-1216, it was not built until twenty years after his reign.

The original keep built 1235 / 40 was low and squat, the roof on the level of the current second floor. Meyler de Bermingham has extended his p. 1250. In 1316 the castle was attacked, leading to the construction of the city walls. In the 15th century Berminghams moved from his town house near the market cross in the square. In 1596, during the nine years war, the castle fell into the hands of ODonnells.

On the walls of the 13th century and in the 15th century, the parapet was included in the Gables on the new roof.

The castle was restored in 2005.

                                     

2. House. (Дом)

Athenry castle is a large rectangular building with a basement-dough, originally containing only a hall on the upper floor and a utility room on the ground floor. Teeth are 13th century with high arrowslits in the teeth. In the 15th century, the parapet was included in the pediments on the Northern and southern ends of the new roof. Spare parts of the original enclosure wall of the castle survive.

The original entrance was on the first floor and was reached by an external wooden staircase. Heat was probably provided by a brazier in the center of the room, with smoke coming through a vent or hole in the roof directly above. In the closet is across from the main entrance.

There is a fine thread on the outer surface of the door opening, on the inner side of the two window openings.

Capitals carved with floral motifs in local style, known as the "school of the West", transitional between the Romanesque and late Gothic.

Mural stair led to the upper floor. The wall-towers were built in the North-East and South-East corners, while the southwest corner was a fortified gate.

                                     
  • Athenry Castle its priory and its 13th century Anglo - Norman street - plan. The town is also well known by virtue of the song The Fields of Athenry
  • Galway, and Dublin. Unfortunately most are now in a very poor state. Athenry Castle in Galway is the most impressive example having been restored recently
  • Bermingham captured the area and made Athenry an urban walled settlement. Though by 1249 it featured a castle and Franciscan friary, it was still close
  • otherwise Rickard Mac Fheorais, was Anglo - Irish lord of Athenry Rickard is reckoned third lord of Athenry and Dunmore, both in County Galway. He was a grandson
  • Masters: They destroyed the walls of the town of Athenry and also its stone houses and its castle and they so damaged the town that it was not easy
  • The Fields of Athenry is a song written in 1979 by Pete St. John in the style of an Irish folk ballad. Set during the Great Famine of the 1840s, the
  • The Second Battle of Athenry took place at Athenry Irish: Ath na Riogh in Ireland on 10 August 1316 during the Bruce campaign in Ireland. The collective
  • Dunsandle Castle is a 15th - century castle near Athenry County Galway, in Ireland. Dunsandle Castle is referenced by Nolan, J.P. Galway Castles and Owners
  • and founded a castle by the River Clarin at a ford called Ath na Ri ford of the kings, or kingdoms This became the town of Athenry Meyler married
  • north of Attymon and snakes westwards, turning southwards through Athenry Athenry Castle was built at a fording point on the river. It flows southwestwards


                                     
  • Ireland King John s Castle a horse that finished second in the 2008 Grand National Athenry County Galway Naas, County Kildare Odiham Castle near Odiham, Hampshire
  • Larry Lardner, a native of Athenry County Galway, was a Brigade Commandant for the Irish Republican Army in his locality. He was by trade a publican
  • assembling an army at Athenry to fight Fedlim. Tadgh led the army of Ui Maine and Siol Anmchadha, along with their vassals, arriving at Athenry by 10 August 1316
  • Bermingham founded the town and abbey of Athenry Galway in 1240. The Pierce de Bermingham mentioned above held a castle at Carrick in county Kildare and is
  • and castles belonging. O Daly maintained his own militia, perhaps provided coyne and livery for president of Connacht. The east road of Athenry known
  • to 17th century Cathedral. Athenry Castle Athenry County Galway 13th century, 3 - storey tower house Aughnanure Castle Oughterard, County Galway
  • 1867, at Castle Lambert, a few miles northwest of Athenry In 1869 he evicted the Barrett family from their farm at Moorepark, close to Castle Lambert
  • family of Castle Taylor, Ardrahan. He was related to Lady Gregory, and was married with a family, living at Moorpark House, Coshla, Athenry Another member
  • Williamstown Castle Williamstown.NIAH survey Abbeyglen Castle Restored Castle website Ardamullivan Castle Restored Castle Athenry Castle Restored Castle info
  • ISBN 0 - 900675 - 92 - 6 Athenry A Local History 1850 1983 Aggie Qualter, 1984. Athenry A Brief History and Guide, Ann Healy, 1989. The Lamberts of Athenry ed. Finnbarr
  • Hibernian Bank in Dublin, his mother a cousin of the Lamberts of Castle Ellen, Athenry He studied medicine at Edinburgh Medical School, qualifying as
  • principal commuter towns is in the catchments of Athenry and Oranmore station. Commuter services in the Athenry - Galway corridor consist of the following: Early
                                     
  • Galway, at Athenry on 29 July 1620. However, for the sum of 5.00 he was pardoned that December. He successfully stood a M.P. for Athenry in the 1634
  • Royalist soldier and courtier b. c.1603 Francis de Bermingham, Baron Athenry Froinsias O Maolmhuaidh, Franciscan friar and linguist b. c.1605 Probable
  • the family became established at Castle Ellen and Castle Lambert located some four miles west and north of Athenry respectively on property acquired
  • local Catholic clergy, providing a refuge for Athenry s Dominican friars in Esker, close to his castle at Carrownekelly. The monastery is still in existence
  • km from Galway, 27 km from Tuam, 30 km from Ballinasloe, and 20 km from Athenry it forms part of the civil parish of Killascobe. Historically, Menlough
  • Google Books. Gaelic and Gaelised Ireland, Kenneth Nicols, 1972. The Second Battle of Athenry Adrian James Martyn, East Galway News Views, 2008 2009
  • phase one of the reopening of the Western Rail Corridor between Ennis and Athenry There are two schools in Ardrahan: Labane N.S, Ballyglass N.S. Ardahan
  • ISBN 978 - 1 - 85182 - 196 - 9 Gaelic and Gaelised Ireland, Kenneth Nicols, 1972. The Second Battle of Athenry Adrian James Martyn, East Galway News Views, 2008 2009

Encyclopedic dictionary

Translation
This website uses cookies. Cookies remember you so we can give you a better online experience.
preloader close
preloader