ⓘ Bunratty Castle
Bunratty Castle is a large 15th-century tower house in County Clare, Ireland. It is located in the centre of Bunratty village, by the N18 road between Limerick and Ennis, near Shannon Town and its airport. The castle and the adjoining folk park are run by Shannon Heritage as tourist attractions.
1.1. Name Earlier structures
The first recorded settlement at the site may have been a Norsemen settlement/trading camp reported in the Annals of the Four Masters to have been destroyed by Brian Boru in 977. According to local tradition, such a camp was located on a rise south-west of the current castle. However, since no actual remains of this settlement have yet been found, its exact location is unknown and its existence is not proven.
Around 1250, King Henry III of England granted the cantred or district of Tradraighe or Tradree to Robert De Muscegros, who in 1251 cut down around 200 trees in the Kings wood at Cratloe. These may have been used to construct a motte and bailey castle, which would have been the first castle at Bunratty, but again the exact position of this is unknown. A later reference in the state papers, dating to 1253 gives de Muscegros the right to hold markets and an annual fair at Bunratty. It has thus been assumed that the site was the centre of early Norman control in south-eastern Clare. Early 19th-century scholars put the structure to the north-west of the current castle. However, when a hotel was constructed there in 1959, John Hunt excavated the area and thought the remains to be that of a gun emplacement from the Confederate Wars see below.
These lands were later handed back to or taken back by King Henry III and granted to Thomas De Clare, a descendant of Strongbow in 1276. De Clare built the first stone structure on the site the second castle. This castle was occupied from ca. 1278 to 1318 and consisted of a large single stone tower with lime white walls. It stood close to the river, on or near the site of the present Bunratty Castle. In the late 13th century, Bunratty had about 1.000 inhabitants. The castle was attacked several times by the OBriens or OBrians and their allies. In 1284, while De Clare was away in England, the site was captured and destroyed. On his return, in 1287, De Clare had the site rebuilt and a 140-yard 130 m long fosse built around it. The castle was again attacked but it did not fall until 1318. In that year a major battle was fought at Dysert ODea as part of the Irish Bruce Wars, in which both Thomas De Clare and his son Richard were killed. Lady De Clare, on learning this, fled from Bunratty to Limerick after burning castle and town. The De Clare family never returned to the area and the remains of the castle eventually collapsed. As the stones were likely used for other local construction works, no traces remain of this second castle.
In the 14th century, Limerick was an important port for the English Crown. To guard access via the Shannon estuary against attacks from the Irish, the site was once again occupied. In 1353, Sir Thomas de Rokeby led an English army to conquer the MacNamaras and MacCarthys. A new castle the third was built at Bunratty, but once again, its exact location is unknown. Local tradition holds that it stood at the site where the Bunratty Castle Hotel was later constructed. However, the new structure was hardly finished before being captured by the Irish. Documents show that in 1355, King Edward III of England released Thomas Fitzjohn Fitzmaurice from prison in Limerick. He had been charged with letting the castle fall into the hands of Murtough O’Brien whilst serving as a Governor Captain of Bunratty.
1.2. Name Current structure
The fourth castle, the present structure, was built by the MacNamara family after around 1425. Its builder may have been one Maccon Sioda MacNamara, chieftain of Clann Cuilein i.e. the MacNamaras. He died before the castle was completed which happened under his son Sean Finn died in 1467. At around 1500, Bunratty Castle came into the hands of the OBriens or OBrians, the most powerful clan in Munster and later Earls of Thomond. They expanded the site and eventually made it their chief seat, moving it there from Ennis.
In 1558, the castle - now noted as one of the principal strongholds of Thomond - was taken by Thomas Radclyffe, the Lord-Lieutenant of Ireland from Donal OBrien of Duagh, last King of Thomond died 1579, and given to Donals nephew, Connor OBrien. Donogh OBrien, Conors son, may have been the one to move the seat of the family from Clonroad Ennis to Bunratty. He made various improvements to the castle including putting a new lead roof on it.
During the Confederate Wars set off by the Irish Rebellion of 1641, Lord Forbes, commanding forces of the English Long Parliament, was allowed by the then Lord Barnabas OBrien to occupy Bunratty in 1646. Barnabas did not want to commit to either side in the struggle, playing off royalists, rebels and roundheads against each other. He left for England, where he joined King Charles. Defence of the castle, whose position allowed those holding it to blockade maritime access to Limerick held by the Confederates and the river Shannon, was in the hands of Rear-Admiral Penn, the father of William Penn, founder of Pennsylvania. After a long siege, the Confederates took the castle. Penn surrendered but was allowed to sail away to Kinsale.
Barnabas OBrien died in 1657, but had apparently leased out the castle to one "John Cooper", possibly the same person married to Maire ni Mahon of Leamaneh Castle, widow of another OBrien, Conor died 1651. Bunratty Castle remained property of the OBriens and in the 1680s the castle was still the principal seat of the Earls of Thomond. In 1712, Henry, the 8th and last Earl of Thomond 1688–1741 sold Bunratty Castle and 472 acres 191 ha of land to Thomas Amory for £225 and an annual rent of £120. Amory in turn sold the castle to Thomas Studdert who moved in ca. 1720.
The Studdert family left the castle allowing it to fall into disrepair, to reside in the more comfortable and modern adjacent "Bunratty House" they had built in 1804. The reasons for the move are bound up in family arguments over the eldest son marrying his first cousin.
For some time in the mid-19th century, the castle was used as a barracks by the Royal Irish Constabulary. In 1894, Bunratty was once again used by the Studdert family, as the seat of Captain Richard Studdert. In the late 19th century, the roof of the Great Hall collapsed.
In 1956, the castle was purchased and restored by the 7th Viscount Gort, with assistance from the Office of Public Works. He reroofed the castle and saved it from ruin. The castle was opened to the public in 1960, sporting furniture, tapestries and works of art dating to around 1600.
Today, the castle is a major tourist attraction, along with "Bunratty Folk Park". Both the castle and Bunratty House are open to the public. The castle is famous for its medieval banquets, offered since 1963, at which the "Bunratty Castle Entertainers" perform today. "Bunratty Folk Park" is an open-air museum featuring around 30 buildings, including the Ardcroney Church Of Ireland church, which moved here and reopened in 1998.
- Bunratty Irish: Bun na Raite, meaning End of the Raite river is a village and civil parish in County Clare, Ireland. Bunratty Castle is located near
- sheep. Baronies of Clare. Bunratty Lower is in the southeast. Bunratty Castle Lower Bunratty contains the parishes of Bunratty Clonloghan, Drumline, Feenagh
- Jerusalem. Gort bought Bunratty Castle County Clare, Ireland in 1953. Encouraged by John Hunt he then set about refurbishing the castle with a large personal
- Archaeological excavations and records of the castle reveal that it was originally of similar form to Bunratty Castle Co. Clare. In 2005, restoration works
- parapet. The roof, which has served as a model for restorations at Bunratty Castle and Rothe House, is arch - braced with four oak principals on each collar - beam
- Airport, and the presence of several places of interest nearby such as Bunratty Castle Cragganowen brings some tourism to the area, providing business
- 1640 41: had his rents seized, 1644 admitted a parliamentary garrison to Bunratty Castle and went to England: joined Charles I successfully petitioned parliament
- Eirian. Bunratty Castle geograph.ie. Geograph Ireland. McLachlan, Roger. Bunratty Castle geograph.ie. Geograph Ireland. Bunratty Castle britainirelandcastles
- Ireland. He encouraged Lord Gort to restore Bunratty Castle He is commemorated by a bust in the castle because of this. He also led to the creation
- Archaeological and Historical Interest in the Barony of Bunratty Lower, Co. Clare: Part 4: Castles and tower houses c.1500. Thesis M.A.Archaeology - University
- the region including tourism and industry similar to IDA Ireland - Bunratty Castle is run by the agency. The agency is responsible for Shannon Free Zone
- wreck s timbers. It is now known as the Armada table and kept on show at Bunratty Castle He died April, 1598, leaving a son, Murtough Clancy. The History
- July 7 April Roger Mortimer s outlawry of Hugh de Lacy queried July Bunratty castle captured by King Muirchertach of Thomond and Mac Con Mara 4 August
- classical and Celtic music. She performed as a soloist for two years at Bunratty Castle in Ireland. McMahon has performed around Europe and in the United States
- de Clare, Lord of Inchiquin and Youghal, Lord of Thomond, Lord of Bunratty Castle 1245 1287 and Juliana FitzGerald 1236 1290 She married two times
- dual - carriageway bypassing Cratloe, Sixmilebridge and Bunratty The road passed alongside Bunratty Castle before the completion of the neighbouring dual - carriageway
- of Strongbow. De Clare ruled over much of western Ireland from his castle at Bunratty yet the English respected Thomond as a sovereign state and remained
- Clare, it is bounded by the baronies of Bunratty Lower to the south - west Bunratty Lower to the west Bunratty Upper to the north - west and by Tulla
- defeated the combined forces of Thomas and Brian Ruad. The latter fled to Bunratty Castle but Thomas had his former ally hanged and drawn for treason. The civil
- Doe Castle or Caislean na dTuath, near Creeslough, County Donegal, was the historical stronghold of Clan tSuibhne Clan MacSweeney with architectural
- Ireland. It is unusual in that it is distributed over three baronies: Bunratty Lower, Clanwilliam and the barony of the City of Limerick. Besides the
- Ormond Castle Irish: Caislean Urmhumhan is a castle on the River Suir on the east side of Carrick - on - Suir, County Tipperary, Ireland. The oldest part
- Kinnitty Castle or Castle Bernard is a 19th - century gothic revival castle and hotel in Kinnitty Cionn Eitigh County Offaly, Ireland. It is located north
- census of 1659 the name was found in considerable numbers in the Barony of Bunratty The prefix O, was dropped in the submergence of Gaelic Ireland and has
- Castle Caulfield is a large ruined house situated in Castlecaulfield, County Tyrone, Northern Ireland. The house was built by Sir Toby Caulfeild between
- north liberties of the city of Limerick, but most lies in the barony of Bunratty Lower of County Clare, 3 miles 4.8 km from Limerick on the road to Ennis
- Castle Roche Irish: Dun Gall is a Norman castle located some 10 km 7 miles north - west of Dundalk, County Louth, Ireland. It was the seat of the De
- Huntington Castle also known as Clonegal Castle is a castle in Clonegal, County Carlow Ireland, built in 1625. The structure was originally a plantation
- to enter their castle without being harmed. But that was merely a trap, and the Irish were captured, marched from the Bunratty Castle to Coolmeen Lake
- 8 06 40 W 54.655 N 8.111 W 54.655 - 8.111 Donegal Castle Irish: Caislean Dhun na nGall is a castle situated in the centre of Donegal Town in County Donegal