ⓘ Malbork Castle
The Castle of the Teutonic Order in Malbork is a 13th-century Teutonic castle and fortress located near the town of Malbork, Poland. It is the largest castle in the world measured by land area and a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
It was originally constructed by the Teutonic Knights, a German Catholic religious order of crusaders, in a form of an Ordensburg fortress. The Order named it Marienburg in honour of Mary, mother of Jesus. In 1457, during the Thirteen Years’ War, it was sold by the Bohemian mercenaries to King Casimir IV of Poland in lieu of indemnities and it since served as one of the several Polish royal residences and the seat of Polish offices and institutions, interrupted by several years of Swedish occupation, and fulfilling this function until the First Partition of Poland in 1772. From then on the castle was under German rule for over 170 years until 1945.
The castle is a classic example of a medieval fortress and, on its completion in 1406, was the worlds largest brick castle. UNESCO designated the "Castle of the Teutonic Order in Malbork" and the Malbork Castle Museum a World Heritage Site in December 1997. It is one of two World Heritage Sites in the region north-central Poland, together with the "Medieval Town of Torun", which was founded in 1231.
Malbork Castle is also one of Polands official national Historic Monuments Pomnik historii, as designated on 16 September 1994. Its listing is maintained by the National Heritage Board of Poland.
1.1. History Origins
The castle was built by the Teutonic Order after the conquest of Old Prussia. Its main purpose was to strengthen their own control of the area following the Orders 1274 suppression of the Great Prussian Uprising of the Baltic tribes. No contemporary documents survive relating to its construction, so instead the castles phases have been worked out through the study of architecture and the Orders administrative records and later histories. The work lasted until around 1300, under the auspices of Commander Heinrich von Wilnowe. The castle is located on the southeastern bank of the river Nogat. It was named Marienburg after Mary, patron saint of the religious Order. The Order had been created in Acre present-day Israel. When this last stronghold of the Crusades fell to Muslim Arabs, the Order moved its headquarters to Venice before arriving in Prussia.
Malbork became more and more important in the aftermath of the Teutonic Knights conquest of Gdansk Danzig and Eastern Pomerania in 1308. The Orders administrative centre was moved to Marienburg from Elbing now Elblag. The Grand Master of the Teutonic Knights, Siegfried von Feuchtwangen, who arrived in Marienburg from Venice, undertook the next phase of the fortress construction. In 1309, in the wake of the papal persecution of the Knights Templar and the Teutonic takeover of Danzig, Feuchtwangen relocated his headquarters to the Prussian part of the Orders monastic state. He chose the site of Marienburg conveniently located on the Nogat in the Vistula Delta. As with most cities of the time, the new centre was dependent on water for transportation.
The castle was expanded several times to house the growing number of Knights. Soon, it became the largest fortified Gothic building in Europe, on a nearly 21-hectare 52-acre site. The castle has several subdivisions and numerous layers of defensive walls. It consists of three separate castles - the High, Middle and Lower Castles, separated by multiple dry moats and towers. The castle once housed approximately 3.000 "brothers in arms". The outermost castle walls enclose 21 ha 52 acres, four times the enclosed area of Windsor Castle. The developed part of the property designated as a World Heritage Site is 18.038 ha 44.57 acres.
The favourable position of the castle on the river Nogat allowed easy access by barges and trading ships arriving from the Vistula and the Baltic Sea. During their governance, the Teutonic Knights collected river tolls from passing ships, as did other castles along the rivers. They controlled a monopoly on the trade of amber. When the city became a member of the Hanseatic League, many Hanseatic meetings were held there.
In 1361 the future Grand Duke of Lithuania Kestutis was briefly imprisoned in the castle. In 1365, Polish King Casimir III the Great visited the castle.
In the summer of 1410, the castle was besieged following the Orders defeat by the armies of Wladyslaw II Jagiello and Vytautas the Great Witold at the Battle of Grunwald. Heinrich von Plauen successfully led the defence in the Siege of Marienburg 1410, during which the city outside was razed.
In 1456, during the Thirteen Years War, the Order – facing opposition from its cities for raising taxes to pay ransoms for expenses associated with its wars against Kingdom of Poland – could no longer manage financially. Meanwhile, Polish General Stibor de Poniec of Ostoja raised funds from Danzig for a new campaign against them. Learning that the Orders Bohemian mercenaries had not been paid, Stibor convinced them to leave. He reimbursed them with money raised in Danzig. Following the departure of the mercenaries, King Casimir IV Jagiellon entered the castle in triumph in 1457, and in May, granted Danzig several privileges in gratitude for the towns assistance and involvement in the Thirteen Years War 1454–66 as well as for the funds collected for the mercenaries that left.
The mayor of the town around the castle, Bartholomaus Blume, resisted the Polish forces for three more years, but the Poles captured and sentenced him to death in 1460. A monument to Blume was erected in 1864.
1.2. History Residence of the Polish kings
In 1466 both castle and town became part of the Polish Malbork Voivodeship in the province of Royal Prussia. Since 1457 it served as one of the several Polish royal residences, fulfilling this function for over 300 years over twice as long as it was headquarters of the Teutonic Order until the Partitions of Poland in 1772. During this period the Tall Castle served as the castles supply storehouse, while the Great Refectory was a place for balls, feasts, and other royal events. Polish Kings often stayed in the castle, especially when travelling to the nearby city of Gdansk/Danzig. Local Polish officials resided in the castle. From 1568 the castle housed the Polish Admiralty Komisja Morska and in 1584 one of the Polish Royal Mints was established here. Also, the largest arsenal of the Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth was located in the castle. By the decision of King John II Casimir Vasa of 1652, Jesuits took care of the castle chapels of Mary and St. Anne.
During the Thirty Years War, in 1626 and 1629 Swedish forces occupied the castle. They invaded and occupied it again from 1656 to 1660 during the Deluge. Then the castle was visited by Swedish kings Gustav Adolf in 1626 and Charles X Gustav in 1656.
1.3. History After the Partitions of Poland
After Prussia and the Russian Empire made the First Partition of Poland in 1772, the town was annexed by the Kingdom of Prussia and in 1773 it became part of the newly established province of West Prussia. At that time, the officials used the rather neglected castle as a poorhouse and barracks for the Prussian Army. The last Jesuits left the castle in 1780. In 1794 David Gilly, a Prussian architect and head of the Oberbaudepartement, made a structural survey of the castle, to decide about its future use or demolition. Gillys son, Friedrich Gilly, produced several engravings of the castle and its architecture, which he exhibited in Berlin and had published by Friedrich Frick from 1799 to 1803. These engravings led the Prussian public to "rediscover" the castle and the history of the Teutonic Knights.
Johann Dominicus Fiorillo published another edition of the engravings on 12 February 1803, also wanting to encourage public interest. Max von Schenkendorf criticized the defacement of the castle. Throughout the Napoleonic period, the army used the castle as a hospital and arsenal. Napoleon has visited the castle in 1807 and 1812. After the War of the Sixth Coalition, the castle became a symbol of Prussian history and national consciousness. Initiated by Theodor von Schon, Oberprasident of West Prussia, in 1816, restoration of the castle was begun. In 1910 the Naval Academy Murwik in Flensburg was built. The Marienburg was a pattern for this new Red Castle. The restoration of the Marienburg was undertaken in stages until World War II started.
With the rise of Adolf Hitler to power in the early 1930s, the Nazis used the castle as a destination for annual pilgrimages of both the Hitler Youth and the League of German Girls. The Teutonic Castle at Marienburg served as a blueprint for the Order Castles of the Third Reich built under Hitlers reign. In 1945 during World War II combat in the area, more than half the castle was destroyed.
1.4. History After World War II
At the conclusion of the war, the city of Malbork and the castle became again part of Poland. The castle has been mostly reconstructed, with restoration ongoing since 1962 following a fire in 1959 which caused further damage. A significant recent restorative effort was of the main church in the castle i.e., The Blessed Virgin Mary Church. After being restored just before World War II and then destroyed in battle, it was in a state of disrepair until a new restoration was completed in April 2016. In 1961 the Castle Museum Muzeum Zamkowe was founded and in 1965 an amber exhibition was opened. Malbork Castle remains the largest brick building in Europe.
- capital of Malbork County. Founded in the 13th century by the Knights of the Teutonic Order, the town is noted for its medieval Malbork Castle built in
- The Malbork Voivodeship Polish: Wojewodztwo malborskie was a unit of administrative division and local government in the Kingdom of Poland from 1454 1466
- Marienburg Castle may refer to: Malbork Castle in Poland Marienburg Castle Hanover in Germany Marienburg Castle Hildesheim in Germany Marienburg disambiguation
- Gothic church is located in the village which is located close to the Malbork Castle Ordensburg Marienburg which was once the capital of the Teutonic
- around year 1280 castle and town were reestablished at new location and became known as Malbork Castle The location of the Zantyr castle has not been determined
- Ages Slavic island castle Germany Dankwarderode Castle state castle Landesburg of the Brunswick dukes, Germany Malbork Castle seat of the Teutonic
- may refer to: Ordensburg Marienburg Malbork Castle the large brick castle built by the Teutonic Knights Malbork Poland, site of the Ordensburg Marienburg
- Discovery UK. Crac des Chevaliers Chateau Gaillard Dover Castle Conwy Castle Malbork Castle Malaga A website features games, motion comics and extra video
- were announced on 21 September 2007. Wieliczka Salt Mine Torun Malbork Castle Wawel Castle Elblag Canal Zamosc Krakow Market Square List of Historic Monuments
- 1314, Grand Master Karl von Trier appointed von Orseln Grand Komtur at Malbork Castle During a coup d etat in the Monastic State, he supported the Grand
- Swietokrzyskie Voivodeship Machliny West Pomeranian Voivodeship Malbork Castle Pomeranian Voivodeship Malec Lesser Poland Voivodeship Maleszowa
- at Ellrichshausen, near Satteldorf in Swabia and died in 1449 in the Malbork Castle He was the 30th Grand Master of the Teutonic Order he led from 1441
- Castle in Leczyca Castle of Warmian Bishops in Lidzbark Warminski Teutonic Castle in Gniew Teutonic Castle in Nidzica Teutonic Ordensburg in Malbork Castle
- Gdansk and the Cathedral Basilica of the Assumption in Pelplin and the Malbork Castle The voivodeship also includes the narrow Hel Peninsula and the Polish
- important commandry in Chelmno Land. From 1313 he served as commander at Malbork Castle and in 1314 became commander of Christburg present - day Dzierzgon
- proposed Polish Lithuanian Ruthenian Commonwealth Malbork Castle Malbork 1590s Wawel, Krakow Royal Castle Warsaw, 17th century Royal Chapel, Gdansk, 1681
- Siege of Marienburg was an unsuccessful two - month siege of the castle in Marienburg Malbork the capital of the monastic state of the Teutonic Knights
- preserved north - western and western wing houses the Branch of the Castle Museum in Malbork Oddzial Muzeum Zamkowego w Malborku in Polish The largest dansker
- ABC - CLIO, ISBN 978 - 1 - 57607 - 862 - 4 Emery, Anthony 2007 Malbork Castle Poland PDF The Castle Studies Group Journal, 21: 138 156 Erlande - Brandenburg
- result. On 2 July 1410, the Grand Master at the head of his army left Malbork Castle for the final battle against the united Polish and Lithuanian forces
- he preferred negotiations over war, he strengthened Marienburg Castle Malbork Castle with an extra wall on the north side. He resigned in March 1422
- Shortly after the river Liwa flows into the Nogat. Then the river passes Malbork and winds NE towards Elblag but does not reach the city NW of Elblag
- army to victory over the Teutonic Knights in the Battle of Swiecino at Malbork castle Stanislaw Dunin - Karwicki 1640 - 1724 - politician and political writer
- castle in order to become familiar with each educational focus. The fourth and final Ordensburg, planned for the site of the historic Malbork Castle in
- Castle Royal Castle in Warsaw Niedzica Castle Malbork Castle Baranow Sandomierski Castle Ksiaz Castle Nowy Wisnicz Castle Czocha Castle Moszna Castle
- participated in the Battle of Grunwald and commanded the siege of the Malbork Castle in 1410, and Cardinal Zbigniew Olesnicki, the Bishop of Krakow in 1423 1455
- coin PDF National Bank of Poland. Retrieved 31 January 2009. The Castle in Malbork coin PDF National Bank of Poland. Retrieved 31 January 2009. The
- the historic Ordensburg Marienburg in West Prussia, known today as Malbork Castle in Poland. The Commander of the Ordensburg was Otto Gohdes. Cadets
- Ogrodzieniec Castle is a ruined medieval castle in the semi - mountainous highland region called the Polish Jura in south - central Poland. Rebuilt several
- at the 15th century Belmonte Castle in Spain. The next world championship competition was held in 2015 at Malbork Castle Poland. The location for the