★ St. Bernards Medical Center
St. Bernards medical center is a 438-bed acute care hospital in Jonesboro, Arkansas. Founded on July 5, 1900, the hospital is the flagship facility of its nonprofit parent company, St. Bernards Healthcare, serving as a regional referral center for 23 counties in northeast Arkansas and Southeast Missouri. St. Bernards medical center is the only level III trauma center in the region and has the only neonatal intensive care unit in Eastern Arkansas.
1. History. (История)
The hospital opened in response to the malaria epidemic that swept northeastern Arkansas in 1899. Local doctors turned to the Benedictine sisters of Olivetana to help care for the sick. The sisters came to Arkansas in 1887 to educate the children of immigrants who settled in the area. The sisters originally settled in Pocahontas, but in 1898 they moved their convent to Jonesboro. The following year, malarial fever spread throughout the area, and the nurses were asked to help, despite their training mainly in teaching. The sisters had bought a two-story, six-room frame house in Jonesboro and installed rooms with cots for beds and covered orange crates for washbasins. On July 5, 1900, St. Bernards hospital, named after the patron Saint of the sisters, Bernardo Tolomei, received its first patients.
A week after the hospital opened, most of the beds in St. Bernard were occupied by malaria patients. The sisters cooked food from their garden in the convent kitchen and washed their Laundry in the convent using bathtubs, washing boards, and homemade soap. Initially, local doctors trained nurses in medical techniques.
To help Finance their operations, the sisters made extortionate tours, traveling on payday trains to nearby logging camps to sell hospital tickets. "In exchange for $ 9, the worker received a ticket that provided admission and care for an entire year. The following year, the sisters bought a second frame building and moved next door to the first, connecting them by a corridor.
By 1905, a brick hospital with 40 beds and a chapel were built, connecting the monastery with the original hospital building. Financial difficulties continued for many years, but St. Bernards continued to grow, adding both buildings and services. The hospital survived the floods that affected Arkansas in 1927 and 1937, and the tornadoes that destroyed it in 1968 and 1973, providing care for the sick and injured.
By the 21st century, the hospital, now called St. Bernards medical center, had expanded to a 438-bed acute care hospital with more than 2.700 employees.
2. Service area. (Зона обслуживания)
St. Bernards medical center serves as a regional referral hospital in four service areas, including heart and vascular, cancer, womens and childrens services, and senior services.
3. Later changes. (Более поздние изменения)
- In 2012, St. Bernards medical center opened only the ICU neonatal intensive care unit in the regions. Previously, the nearest NICU facilities were located in little rock or Memphis, Tennessee.
- In 2016, the hospitals cancer center completed its reconstruction, expanding and integrating all cancer services into a single facility.
- In 2018, the hospital expanded and updated its cardiology center. The expansion focused on St. Bernards invasive services, adding an electrophysiology lab and a hybrid lab. Meanwhile, the hospitals cardiac catheterization laboratories were repaired.
- In December 2019, St. Bernards opened a four-story, 245.000-square-foot tower serving as the hospitals new main entrance. The tower includes 14 surgical rooms, with the possibility of expanding to 20, as well as an intensive care unit with 46 beds. The total cost of the projects was $ 103 million.
Users also searched:
st. bernards medical center,
no need to download or install
Pino - logical board game which is based on tactics and strategy. In general this is a remix of chess, checkers and corners. The game develops imagination, concentration, teaches how to solve tasks, plan their own actions and of course to think logically. It does not matter how much pieces you have, the main thing is how they are placement!online intellectual game →