ⓘ Chateau de Langeais
The Chateau de Langeais is a medieval castle in Indre-et-Loire, France, built on a promontory created by the small valley of the Roumer River at the opening to the Loire Valley. Founded in 992 by Fulk Nerra, Count of Anjou, the castle was soon attacked by Odo I, Count of Blois. After the unsuccessful attack, the now-ruined stone keep was built; it is one of the earliest datable stone examples of a keep. Between 994 and 996 the castle was besieged unsuccessfully twice more. During the conflict between the counts of Anjou and Blois, the castle changed hands several times, and in 1038 Fulk captured the castle again.
After it was destroyed during the Hundred Years War, King Louis XI 1461–1483 rebuilt Chateau de Langeais into what today is one of the best known examples of late medieval architecture. It is especially noted for its monumental and highly decorated chimneypieces. Restored in the late 19th century, Chateau de Langeais came under the control of the Institut de France, who own the site today. It is listed as a monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture and is open to the public.
The 10th century saw the emergence of the castle, which is generally thought to be the second-earliest known, the earliest being Chateau de Doue-la-Fontaine built by the Count of Blois around 900. The counts of Anjou and Blois had bordering territories and the powerful lords were rivals; as a result the border area is home to some of the earliest-known castles. When it was founded in 992 by Fulk Nerra, Count of Anjou, Chateau de Langeais was made from wood and took the form of a motte-and-bailey. A contemporary chronicler noted that it was built because had no resting place between Bourgueil and Amboise along the Loire river". It also had the advantage of being 24 km 15 mi from Tours, a town under the control of Odo I, Count of Blois.
While the land belonged to Fulk, the area was under the control of Odo. When news of the fortification reached Odo he despatched a force to destroy it. The attack was unsuccessful and Fulk reinforced the site, building the stone keep that stands in ruins today. To distract Odo from the construction work, which was complete by 994, Fulk carried out intermittent raids on his lands. It has been suggested that the keeps shallow foundations and thin walls, 2 m 6 ft 7 in at their thickest and on average 1.5 m 4 ft 11 in, demonstrate that it was built in haste.
Though he was unsuccessful in 992, Odo again tried to capture the castle two years later. This time he called on his Norman, Flemish and Aquitanian allies and the siege of Chateau de Langeais began in the spring of 994. Fulk led the garrison himself and sent a message to Hugh Capet, King of the Franks, asking for help; and, though Hugh was ill, he promised reinforcements. In the meantime Odos numbers grew as his allies continued to flock to him. The siege continued into the summer and Fulk began negotiating with Odo. Richer, a contemporary chronicler favourable to Odo, asserted that Fulk agreed to surrender but later reneged, claiming the agreement was not binding, though it is uncertain whether this was the case. However, the Capetian forces arrived before Fulk was forced to surrender. Faced with the kings army, Odo agreed to leave Fulk in peace.
After the siege ended and Odo retreated, Fulk had to deal with hostilities along the western frontier of his lands. Despite Odos agreement with Hugh, the Count of Blois exploited Fulks divided attention to install a force at Chateau de Chateaudun from which he could move to capture Langeais should the opportunity arise. Odo besieged Chateau de Langeais in 995. The siege continued into the next year, but in March 996 Odo fell ill and died. With their leader dead, the besieging force left Langeais. With his most troublesome enemy dead, Fulk captured Tours, which had previously been held by the Count of Blois. After Robert, King of the Franks, had taken control of Tours, Fulk turned to the castles of Langeais, Montsoreau, Montresor and Montbazon to defend the Loire Valley.
Hostilities between the counts of Anjou and Blois were renewed in 1016. During the course of the conflict, Fulk lost control of three castles: Passavant was destroyed and Montbazon and Langeais were probably captured. By 1032 Chateau de Langeais was back under Fulks control. However it was again taken by the forces of Odo II, Count of Blois. Odo II died in battle in 1037 and was succeeded by his son, Theobald; on receiving the news of his rivals demise, Fulk set about recapturing Chateau de Langeais. The siege began in the winter of 1037 and in the spring of the following year, with no relief forthcoming, the garrison surrendered. Fulk set his sights on further territorial gains and successfully captured Chateau de Chinon 22 km 14 mi away.
Under the Plantagenet kings the chateau was fortified and expanded by Richard I of England Richard the Lionheart. However King Philippe II of France recaptured the chateau in 1206. Eventually though, during the Hundred Years War, the English destroyed it. The chateau was rebuilt about 1465 during the reign of King Louis XI. The great hall of the chateau was the scene of the marriage of Anne of Brittany to King Charles VIII on 6 December 1491, which permanently united Brittany and France.
In 1886 Jacques Siegfried bought Chateau Langeais and began a restoration programme. He installed an outstanding collection of tapestries and furnishings and bequeathed the chateau to the Institut de France, which still owns it today. The chateau is open to the public. It is listed as a monument historique by the French Ministry of Culture.
According to contemporaneous chronicler Richer, the castle built by Foulques Nerra in the 990s consisted of a tower and a surrounding enclosure. The 10th-century keep still stands, albeit in a ruinous state. It is the earliest example of Romanesque architecture in the region. It is uncertain where the stone used in construction was quarried. A detailed study has been done on the cost of construction of the tower. It is 16 metres 52 ft high, 17.5m wide and 10m long with walls averaging 1.5m thick. The walls contain 1.200 cubic metres 42.000 cu ft of stone and have a total surface area both inside and out of 1.600 square metres 17.000 sq ft. The tower is estimated to have taken 83.000 average working days to complete, most of which was unskilled labour. The wall enclosing the keep stretched for some 250 m 820 ft. The interior rooms are richly decorated.
- merged into Langeais Langeais has a church of the 11th, 12th and 15th centuries, but is chiefly interesting for its large and historic chateau built soon
- The canton of Langeais is an administrative division of the Indre - et - Loire department, central France. Its borders were modified at the French canton reorganisation
- Chateau de Langeais Chateau de Loches Chateau de Marçay Chateau de Montpoupon Chateau de Plessis - lez - Tours Chateau du Rivau Chateau de Tours Chateau de Villandry
- 1037, Fulk III, Count of Anjou marched into Touraine to capture Chateau de Langeais and then Chinon, some 22 km 14 mi away. When Fulk arrived at Chinon
- Yvelines for Comte Edmond de Fels Water parterres of Blenheim Palace for the ninth Duke of Marlborough Chateau de Langeais Chateau de Sassy Orne about 1925
- The Chateau de Rochecotte is a late 18th - century chateau located in the French village of Saint - Patrice, near Langeais in Indre - et - Loire. It is known
- notably the Chateau de Montsoreau, the Chateau de Langeais the Chateau d Amboise, the Chateau of Blois, the Chateau of Gaillon, and the Chateau of Chambord
- to Chalon - sur - Saone via Nevers Corze to Rennes via Chateau - Gontier and Laval Bourgueil to Langeais : Opened 29 January 2007 26 km Azay - le - Rideau to Esvres :
- Ballan - Mire Blere Chateau - Renault Chinon Descartes Joue - les - Tours Langeais Loches Montlouis - sur - Loire Monts Saint - Cyr - sur - Loire Sainte - Maure - de - Touraine
- de Louis VI aux fils de Philippe le Bel, 1991 Sur l histoire economique de la France medievale : routes, foires, draperies, 1992 Chateau de Langeais :
- Chateau - la - Valliere is a commune in the Indre - et - Loire department in central France. The Chateau de Vaujours, situated 3 kilometres south of Chateau - la - Valliere
- L Ile - Bouchard Langeais Richelieu Sainte - Maure - de - Touraine Arrondissement de Chinon 371 INSEE. Retrieved 2019 - 09 - 30. Comparateur de territoire, geographie
- French Wikipedia. Castles of which little or nothing remains include Chateau de Montrond. List of castles in France List of castles in Alsace List of
- Parnassos Concert Hall. Piano: Aris Garoufalis Etude fortape 1975 Chateau de Langeais festival Voyage 1 for tape 1976 Patras festival 1987 Diabolus
- Paul Mesnier 1941: Le Destin fabuleux de Desiree Clary, Sacha Guitry 1942: La Duchesse de Langeais Jacques de Baroncelli 1942: The Blue Veil, Jean Stelli
- VIII instead. In December 1491, in an elaborate ceremony at the Chateau de Langeais Charles and Anne of Brittany were married. The 14 - year - old Duchess
- brother - in - law Stanislas de Castellane the historic chateau de Rochecotte, near Langeais Indre - et - Loire famous for having belonged to Dorothee de Courlande, duchesse
- Montgeoffroy Plessis - Bourre Chateau des Reaux Amboise on the banks of the Loire River Chateau de Langeais Chateau de Blois interior façades in Gothic
- ancestors had founded the four canonical - prebendaries of Saint - Jean - de - Langeais it was up to him to provide the residency privileges which they dispensed
- especially had to face the ambitions of the Bishop of Le Mans, Gervais de Chateau - du - Loir, but he was able to maintain his authority over the County of
- Chapelle - sur - Loire Chateau - Renault Chenonceaux - Chisseaux Chinon Cinq - Mars Cormery Courçay - Tauxigny La Douzillere Druye Esvres Joue - les - Tours Langeais Ligre - Riviere
- castles in France, arranged by Region and Department. Notes The French word chateau has a wider meaning than the English castle: it includes architectural
- intervention of Pope Urban II in 1096, but died soon after. He married Julienne de Langeais before 1060. She died after 7 August 1067. They had no issue. Geoffrey
- Betz - le - Chateau is a commune in the Indre - et - Loire department in central France. Communes of the Indre - et - Loire department INSEE commune file Populations
- Verneuil - le - Chateau is a commune in the Indre - et - Loire department in central France. Communes of the Indre - et - Loire department INSEE commune file Populations
- Chateau - Renault is a commune in the Indre - et - Loire department in central France. Chateau - Renault is located on the Far - West of the Gatine Tourangelle plateau
- King Charles VIII of France was celebrated in the Great Hall of the Chateau de Langeais on 6 December 1491 at dawn. The ceremony was concluded discreetly
- France were settling their power in Chinon and then Langeais and Tours, many artists such as Pierre de Ronsard, François Rabelais and Jean Fouquet, among
- were built on hilltops, such as the Chateau d Amboise, while the only one built in the riverbed is the Chateau de Montsoreau. Many had exquisite churches
- built on mottes along the Catalonia frontier and several, including Chateau de Langeais in Angers. Although wood was a more powerful defensive material