★ Year of the Dog (film)
The year of the Dog 2007 Comedy-drama film written and directed by Mike white starring: Molly Shannon, Laura Dern, Regina king, Thomas McCarthy, Josh Pais, John C. Reilly and Peter sarsgaard. The film describes the process of a woman who goes from one dog home to become a vegetarian and activist for animal rights.
It premiered on 20 January 2007 at the Sundance film festival 2007.
1. The plot. (Сюжет)
Shannon stars as Peggy, a forty-something administrative assistant whose social and love life are slim to none. Her most intimate communications with her dog, pencil. One morning pencil refuses to come in after he was released to do its business, half asleep and Peggy lets him stay outside all night. The next morning she finds him in the yard of her neighbor al John C. Reilly whimpering in pain. She takes him to the vet, but its too late, the pencil died from toxic poisoning.
The people in her life react with sympathy, but mostly make her feel guilty for her grief. Best friend Leila Regina king tells Peggy her relationship with pencil had held her back from alcohol. Shes emotionally sterile sister-in-law Laura Dern and brother pierce Thomas McCarthy too narcissistic to understand how deeply hurt Peggy is.
Neighbor Halifax, al asks Peggy on a date. It starts well until al reveals that he lost his dog accidentally shot him while hunting. When I get home, he shows off his knife collection and hunting trophies. He pays no attention to the hostility of Halifax for this. She asks to see his garage, suspicious, something inside poisoned pencil. Al makes a pass, which she rejects with disgust.
Peggy receives a call from Triton Peter sarsgaard, a volunteer at the society for the prevention of cruelty to animals, who was present when pencil died. He tells Peggy that he has a new dog she could adopt: Valentine, a King shepherd with behavioral problems. Newt agrees to help train Valentine, and he and Peggy begin to spend a lot of time together.
Through newt, Peggy is exposed to veganism and the protection of animal rights. She becomes a vegan and starts to help newt the adoption of various animals subject to euthanasia. Chastised her boss Robin Josh Pais to her commitment, she retaliates by donating to various animal-related charity with your checkbook.
Peggy and newt share a kiss, newt refuses to go further, which she mistakes for knighthood. She admits that she fell in love, newt says he is celibate, implying hes asexual. Peggy reacts badly, shutting newt and instead focus on her new relationship with Valentine. Valentine sporadically aggressive behavior worsens without Newts instruction, he is biting the hand Halifax. The dog continually barks, causing al to complain. Peggy responds in a rude manner, suggesting that it is her revenge because she thinks something in his garage, must have poisoned pencil.
Halifaxs interest in animal rights deepens, particularly the causes to stop animal testing and animal agricultural communities that were previously destined to die. Her new belief system looked at lightly, as her brother and sister-in-law when she announces that she is a vegetarian, he replied: "it Will be interesting to see how long it lasts."
In the New years eve weekend, Peggy agrees to babysit his brothers children. She leaves lovers in the care of newt. She takes her young niece Lissie, Amy schlagel, Zoe schlagel and nephew Benji on the farm for rescued animals to introduce them to their "adopted" the chicken of charity sponsorship she received them for Christmas. Intensely moved by the experience, Peggy is a mini-breakdown in the car. She wants to show them a slaughterhouse, but the kids get scared.
While Babysitting Peggy gets drunk and finds for clothing of furs in her sister-in-laws closet. She asks her niece what she thinks of them, and the child says that her "sense". Peggy eventually passes out drunk, and in the morning finds the fur ruined in a bathtub full of water. She goes to newts to pick up Valentine and finds newt was crying. Valentine killed a crippled dog named buttons, and newt sent Valentine to be put to sleep because he knew that Peggy doesnt have the courage to do so.
She catches the dog, but too late, Valentine was dead within two hours. Peggy suffers a mental break and adopts 15 dogs slated to die, she lies, saying she works with the SPCA and is going to find them all homes. Peggy at work is faced with her boss. He discovered fraudulent checks and shes fired.
Halifax life is falling apart. She barely leaves her home, which almost destroyed her new Pets. Al complains, says that if she doesnt find a way to control them. While shes gone, newt visits, confiscates the dogs and leaves a warning from the SPCA. Peggy erroneously blames al.
She sneaks into the house and ALS finds a molluscicide with a hole chewed in the corner, confirming her suspicions about pencils death. Like a zombie, she drags the bag through the house, leaking poison pellets everywhere. It is one of the glory hunting knives and hides. When al and the girl to return home, Peggy attacks with a knife. Al wrestles it away from her and calls the police.
Halifax brother and sister-in-law trying to help. They say the Halifax boss has decided if she pays back everything and goes to counselling he will get her back. They ask why Peggy attacked al. She said that she wanted him to know what its like to be a victim.
Peggy returns to work and affable. But soon an Internet search leads her to information about the upcoming protests of animal rights activists. She sends the letter with her colleagues, including Leila, boss, newt, brother and sister-in-law. She needs to follow her heart. She abandons her former life and heads off to the protest, content that is fighting for her animals more than life itself.
2. Cast. (Литые)
- Liza Weil - Trishelle.
- Peter Sarsgaard - Newt.
- Inara George - Holi.
- Dale Godboldo - Donu.
- Amy schlagel, Zoe schlagel and - Lissie.
- Molly Shannon Is Peggy Spade.
- Josh Pais - Robin.
- Regina King - Layla.
- John C. Reilly - Al.
- Thomas McCarthy - Pierce.
- Laura Dern - Bret.
3. Critical reception. (Критический прием)
The film received positive reviews from critics. As at 31 December 2007, the review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reported that 70% of critics gave the film positive reviews, based on 134 reviews. On Metacritic, the film has an average score of 70 out of 100, based on 31 reviews.
Associated Press film critic David Germain named the film the #10 Best film of 2007.
The film won best feature film at the 22nd award "Genesis".
The film opened in limited release April 13, 2007 and in the first weekend it grossed $108.223 in seven theaters. The movies widest release was in 152 theaters in its fifth week.
The film grossed $1.596.953 worldwide - $1.540.141 in the United States and Canada and $56.812 in other territories.
- Wolfstone Year of the Dog Hart to Hart an episode of Hart to Hart Year of the Dog The Loop an episode of The Loop The Year of the Dog film a 1994
- The Year of the Dog Russian: Год собаки, romanized: God sobaki is a 1994 Russian drama film directed by Semyon Aranovich. It was entered into the 44th
- Dog years may refer to: Aging in dogs Dog year a non - standard unit of measurement Dog Years album 2003 comedy album by Mike Birbiglia Dog Years novel
- The Shaggy Dog is a 2006 American family comedy film directed by Brian Robbins and written by Geoff Rodkey, Jack Amiel, Michael Begler, Cormac Wibberley
- Dog of Flanders is a 1960 American drama film directed by James B. Clark, with stars David Ladd, Donald Crisp and Theodore Bikel. It is based on the 1872
- The term dog days refers to the hottest and most humid time of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. Dog Days may also refer to: Dog Days 1925 film
- novel of the same name. The film depicts the struggle of a dog trainer named Keys Paul Winfield who is black, trying to retrain a stray dog found by
- A Dog Year is a 2009 American made - for - television comedy - drama film written and directed by first - time director George LaVoo and starring Jeff Bridges
- The film tells the story of Ackerley s fifteen - year relationship with his Alsatian dog German Shepherd Queenie, who had been renamed Tulip for the book
- My Dog Skip is a 2000 American family drama film directed by Jay Russell and starring Frankie Muniz, Diane Lane, Luke Wilson, and Kevin Bacon with narration
- Hot Dog The Movie is a teen sex comedy ski film released in January 1984. The film went on to gross over n7 million. The film stars Patrick Houser as
- about the international popularity of the story: Patrasche, A Dog of Flanders - Made in Japan It researches all available film adaptations of the story
- Clifford the Big Red Dog is an American children s book series about a giant red dog named Clifford. It was first published in 1963 and was written by
- Wag the Dog is a 1997 American political satire black comedy film produced and directed by Barry Levinson and starring Dustin Hoffman and Robert De Niro
- The Canadian Eskimo Dog is an Arctic breed of working dog Other names include qimmiq or qimmit Inuit language word for dog The Greenland Dog is genetically
- Stray Dog 野良犬, Nora inu is a 1949 Japanese crime drama film noir directed by Akira Kurosawa and starring Toshiro Mifune and Takashi Shimura. It was
- The Lady with the Dog Russian: Дама с собачкой, romanized: Dama s sobachkoy is a short story by Anton Chekhov. First published in 1899, it describes
- Mad Dog and Glory is a 1993 American crime comedy - drama film directed by John McNaughton and starring Robert De Niro, Uma Thurman, and Bill Murray. Wayne
- known as the Vitagraph Dog 1902 1916 was a female collie that starred in silent films Owned and guided by director Laurence Trimble, she was the first
- own animation studio, Stretch Films in association with Cartoon Network. The title character is a pink, anthropomorphic dog who lives with an elderly couple
- numerous silent films of the 1920s. Rex the Wonder Dog first starred in his own bi - monthly series, The Adventures of Rex the Wonder Dog 1 - 46 January February
- My Life as a Dog Swedish: Mitt liv som hund is a Swedish drama film which was released to cinemas in Sweden on 12 December 1985, directed by Lasse Hallstrom
- Dog Eat Dog is an American band founded in Bergen County, New Jersey. Considered one of the earliest bands to fuse hardcore punk and rap music, Dog Eat
- The St. Bernard or St Bernard UK: ˈbɜːnəd US: bərˈnɑːrd is a breed of very large working dog from the western Alps in Italy and Switzerland. They
- as the title character, Josh Lucas, Rachael Taylor, and John Batchelor. The film is based on the true story of Red Dog and uses the novel Red Dog by Louis
- Boy and His Dog is a cycle of narratives by author Harlan Ellison. The cycle tells the story of an amoral boy Vic and his telepathic dog Blood who
- The Palm Dog Award is a yearly alternative award presented by the international film critics during the Cannes Film Festival. Begun in 2001 by Toby Rose
- The Shaggy Dog is a black - and - white 1959 Walt Disney film about Wilby Daniels, a teenage boy who by the power of an enchanted ring of the Borgias is transformed
- The Malinois ˈmælɪnwɑː is a medium - to - large breed of dog sometimes classified as a variety of the Belgian Shepherd dog rather than as a separate breed
- to the notice of Rudd Weatherwax, a Hollywood animal trainer. In 1943, the dog was chosen to play Lassie in the Metro - Goldwyn - Mayer feature film Lassie